• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STC Fast Trac Rain Proof?

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
Hi,
I am in the market to buy an STC Fast Trac top for my ride. How good are these tops from keeping the rain out?

The GF is getting tired of me putting the tarp over the bronco. The weather strips around the doors are ok, but not in great shape. If I put this top on, can I get rid of the tarp? Or, does some rain get in if it sits in the driveway overnight through a rainstorm?

Thanks,
saxman

BRussell

Loc.
Winston Salem
Man this sounds like a question I asked myself a few months ago. I had the tarp on mine all the time. I now have the STC top and it does stop most of the rain. I now am noticing that around my passenger door rain seems to come in quite well all over the door and on the edge of my seat when my Bronco is sitting still but when I am driving it its fine. I would go for the STC top, overall I have been pleased with mine but I am going to make sure everything is right when I put it back on next spring. There has got to be a way to keep it from getting wet inside. I am switching back to my hard top this week to prepare for winter.

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
thanks for the input. I have read that the STC top is the easier one (compated to besttop) to get down and up like a convertible. however, I have head that you can't open the tailgate with it attached. is this correct?

what is wind noise like? anyone have tinted windows?

I live in TX and this thing would be on the truck permanently

what type of material is the top made out of?

SS

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
saxman said:
thanks for the input. I have read that the STC top is the easier one (compated to besttop) to get down and up like a convertible. however, I have head that you can't open the tailgate with it attached. is this correct?
SS
Yes this is correct, this is the only thing I really don't care for on the stc but can't have the best of both worlds. As to your other questions I can't answer because mine is still in the box :'(

BRussell

Loc.
Winston Salem
Get the denim (canvas) material not the vinyl. I have tinted windows and they are nice. As far as the tailgate yes its a pain but you get used to it. I don't use mine that much. Wind noise really isn't that bad. I had a 84 CJ-7 with a new Besttop and it made a lot of noise. MY STC is much better.

OP
OP
saxman

saxman

Loc.
Austin, TX
yea, i am with you guys on getting used to the back. I figured if the back window is zipped out, I can just throw it in the back without openign the tailgate.

Can you tell me how long it does take to mess with the top to get the tailgate opened?

also, how long does it take to take the top done to convertible status?

BRussell

Loc.
Winston Salem
The rear window doesn't zip out. I just unzips so you can roll it up. The reason that its a pain for the tailgate is that the top has to be pulled and flipped under the rear bracket on the tailgate to make it tight and seal. I just pop rivited my rear bracket on loosly so that I can get it on and off in a few mintues. If its not raining then leaving it just zipped down and not locked in is fine. To get to a full top drop I would say 5 minutes max. I zip out my sides, undo the bck and full the front out. Everything falls into place easy as 1,2,3... To put the top up takes about the same amount of time.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

sfaforester

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
SW, Arkansas
I was worried about the tailgate thing myself, case my tailgate is always down when its in the garage. I think its exagerated on the difficulty of getting it down. The corners of the STC top; about 3 inches of it is attached to the tailgate. It takes less than 5 seconds for me to pull the fabric out around the tailgate on both sides and then I can put the tailgate down. Although I may have made mine easier or different that others when I attached the tailgate piece. I don't have pictures of it and my top is down right now. It takes me a little over 5 minutes to put the top up on mine. Thats including zipping in the windows. I guess the pain is having to carry the side and back windows around with me cause they can't remain on the top and it be down.

I still have not gotten my doors properly alligned with the top yet. Prolly cause I just put on some lift off hinges on my doors. But if your doors are already in line, they should fit alright. I haven't one thru rain yet so can't help you there. But if you get one I strongly suggest you follow this link and HIS instructions cause the STC instructions are terrible. I don't think they have ever installed one on a bronco.

The link I'm looking for I can't find right this minute, but it is one that I beleive HNRY69 made up. Anyone have that link? If I find it I'll repost.

White Knight

Contributor
STC in denim with tinted windows!!! I installed it by myself in about an hour. Taking it down is about 5 minutes-- I have a full family cage that is custom so the back of the cage is angled to allow the top bows to go all the way back to rest behind ther back seat-- if you have a family cage that is not angled up from back to middle it may not make it all the way down but I believe you will run into the same issue with the Bestop also. Also, use your hard top rear qtr seals under the rear mounting channels for a more water resistant top. Good Luck!

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
for getting the tailgate down - it takes me twice as long to open and swing my spare tire out of the way than it does to pop the rear window free from the tailgate and drop it. As far as I'm concerned it's a non-issue.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
With all the questions that there has been about softtops in the past. It would make a good Tech article for someone with the time to do a step-by-step article on their tops ,as in...raising/ lowering and some of the details photographic wise on fit.(many pic=goodthing) also details on the tailgate. Any takers? Bestop/STC? It would be nice to have articles on both so one could compare.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Jeepster said:
With all the questions that there has been about softtops in the past. It would make a good Tech article for someone with the time to do a step-by-step article on their tops ,as in...raising/ lowering and some of the details photographic wise on fit.(many pic=goodthing) also details on the tailgate. Any takers? Bestop/STC? It would be nice to have articles on both so one could compare.

I voluteer! If someone wants to send me a top ;)

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Nobody said:
I voluteer! If someone wants to send me a top ;)

Really! ;D I hear that. I would have been all over the issue if I had a softtop but, I too have as many questions on the subject. My feelings are that I would be disappointed with the offerings after having a softop jeep with no issues concerning leaks or ability to lower/raise.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
THE REAR WINDOW IS EASILY REMOVED! All that has to be done is to zip both zippers all the way to the drivers side at the end and they run right off. Here are a few pics of the top on my '71. The tailgate will open , all you have to do is untuck it from the rear rail that is attached to the tailgate. Takes about 15 seconds. I can put the top down, that means all the way down out and all in about 4-5 minutes. After getting it all in place you lock the side hinges and it tightens it all up nice and snug. The rear window in one of the pics looks loose because I havent locked the side hinges werent locked. It goes back on in about 5-6 and that is on my own. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Attachments

• Img_0003.jpg
    Img_0003.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Img_0012.jpg
    Img_0012.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Img_0010.jpg
    Img_0010.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Img_0009.jpg
    Img_0009.jpg