• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STC Fast Trac Rain Proof?

BRussell

Loc.
Winston Salem
I must be a dang fool. I thought my rear window should zip out but I never figured it out. I just always roll it up. Now I know and there will be no more rolling of the window. Get the STC you will be happy... Try to get them to start a mass buy on it, you can save some money that way.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
So you have to take the back window completely out? Can't you just raise each zipper a few inches, untuck and drop the tailgate?

I'm slow, but I've almost got it :D

BRussell

Loc.
Winston Salem
I have done that also "NOBODY". There are a few different ways but taken the windows out is always the best way to protect them.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
" NOBODY"
Yep...You can just unzip them a little and untuck the rear edge and the tailgate folds like normal. Very simple and quick. I usually unzip each side up to the top and role mine up. There are supplied straps with snaps that hold it up onto the rolled position. Be careful because rolling it can scratch it and also crease the rear window.

Blue71

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Jeepster said:
thats what I'm talking about! Good post Blue.

JUST FOR YOU JEEPSTER. ;D ;D ;D I know how you like pics. So is the seat of your '76 cleaned off yet????? %) %)

He he ,

Blue71

horseman

Those with a Crab cage and a STC top
How do you fold your top down ? Ive herd that you need to subsitut a
pin for the bolt on the middle bow ? Is this the best way ?

sorry if this a hi-jack

Trigger

I haven't had any leakage with my STC, I riveted a 1/4" spacer on the bracket that the rear window slips under, it lets the top tuck under alot easier and seals up fine.
Trigger

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Mine is very difficult to get untucked from the tailgate, the top goes too far under the metal and sometimes will not come back out I have to unzip the whole window and slide it sideways off the tailgate, I think thew tailgate attatching sucks,

I have to unzip, reachin and flip the tension off the rear bow on bothe sides before I can get the flap loose cause theres nothing to grab onto, a couple of little loops to hook your finger into would be nice to pull the flap out.0

Im considering making a groved strip of metal, (like at the bottom of the windows), tuck the top in it, and then use wing nuts or duetz nuts or snaps or velcro, or something, so I can just yank the thing off the tailgate.

or attatch the groved strip to each side at the back of the side windows with snaps or duetz bolts, so I can unzip the sidesm reach in and pop each side loose and not have to fiddle with the flap.

besides I had the old top so I have 11 holes where the snaps used to be on the tailgate I need to cover up.

DO not drill any holes for the support behind the door frame, If you heat the support rod and put a Z bend in it, it will drop right into the front bolt hole where the hard top was.

The new model top is light years ahead of the old one, but all ya gotta do is look at the top on a Wrangler if you wanna see how it should be done.

My dad has a new Wrangler and the top is very , very easy to drop, and water tight.

Also
I could use some ideas on how to store the windows after I remove them on a trip,
Thought about building a pocket on the back of the rear seat, and what if the window is dirty,?
like driving on the approach road to Tellico, then say I want to remove the windows? do you wash them before you remove them?
and why cant we get a sheet of that plastic cling stuff that goes on the front of your PDA screen, to stick on the windows so they wont scratch?
why?
why?
why?

nybronc

Loc.
Greenlawn, NY
Denim vs. Vinyl

A lot of people in this and other threads about STC tops say to get the denim top instead of the vinyl. Why? What's the benefit of the denim top? Is it just a better-looking material, or is there something more to it?

Roundhouse:

The idea of not drilling a hole in the door post appeals to me. Do you have any pics you can post to show of the Z-shaped pole and how it fits into the stock hard top hole?

Thanks.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
nybronc said:
A lot of people in this and other threads about STC tops say to get the denim top instead of the vinyl. Why? What's the benefit of the denim top? Is it just a better-looking material, or is there something more to it?

Roundhouse:

The idea of not drilling a hole in the door post appeals to me. Do you have any pics you can post to show of the Z-shaped pole and how it fits into the stock hard top hole?

Thanks.
i went with the denim mainly for looks but i just assumed that it would be more durable. that being said i have brushed up against trees and tree branches pretty hard and didnt tear my top. if i had the chance to do it again id go with the same top. skiddy has seen my top in person i believe. its a pretty nice piece of work. heres a couple pics please forgive the dust. it really is a black top %) one pic shows the side and one shows the tailgate area

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
76 explorer said:
i went with the denim mainly for looks but i just assumed that it would be more durable. that being said i have brushed up against trees and tree branches pretty hard and didnt tear my top. if i had the chance to do it again id go with the same top. skiddy has seen my top in person i believe. its a pretty nice piece of work
Yes it is very nice piece of work. I went with the vinyl for the price at the time, still haven't installed it until I get a cage.

nybronc

Loc.
Greenlawn, NY
Thanks for the reply. The top looks good on your truck, dust and all. I was walking home from work today and spotted a Jeep with a soft top. I looked at it and wondered if the Jeep Wrangler soft top material was similar in terms of texture and thickness to the STC denim top.

It's good to know that the denim is durable. Now that you mention it, I guess it would seem logical that the denim would be tougher than the vinyl.

I'm going for the denim. Now if I can only wait 4 weeks for it to come!

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
I have the vinyl, it is nice and thick, heavy-duty vinyl. I went with it for ease of cleaning. I had a Wrangler several years ago with the denim type material. When I got it muddy I would have to take a brush to it and scrub it to get it looking new again; the vinyl wipes right off.

I recommend that you get the boot cover, too. It slides over the folded up material when you have the top folded down. Makes it alot easier to keep it rolled up and has a nice finished look to it.