• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STC Tinted Windows Question.

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
Well, I did manage to get in on the STC mass buy, and I am thrilled to have it coming. I can't wait to get it on my rig.

I have seen a lot of the regular windows, and they always seem to be fogged up so bad you can hardly seem through them. I am curious if the tinted windows are going to do the same? Has anyone had any problems with them fogging over, or glazing, or whatever they do?

Is there any fix for it?

I was hoping that the dark tint would help to prevent the window from changing like that, but I want to know if anyone has any experience so far with that happening? If you did have it happen, what is a cure? Is there a cure? I supose if it looks too terribly bad, I could cut the windows out, fill with material, and make a can-back knockoff? (not planning on doing that to a brand new top by any means.. years and years and years down the road.) What could you do, theoretically, if they fogged?

Thanks in advance!

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
The only thing you can do is be very careful in how you handle the plastic windows. They scratch very easy. When washing use lots of water and a soft cloth and dont roll up dirty, or they will haze up on you very fast. The tinted windows are the same.

You ask about a cure. They make a polish that might lessen the hazing. Its applied with a buffer but I really dont/havent seen results of that. The only real cure is to buy new windows.

Dan

U

Unregistered

One big no no that I know of is don't use windex or any equivalent. I think that might be a given.

Will

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
you DONT want to use anything with ammonia in it. The key here is to rince off with lots of water (hose) to get most of the dirt off, then use a product with a soft cotton cloth to clean. I use Blue Magic Plastic & Plexiglass Cleaner to buff clean. Its not the only product out there but it seems to do the job.

Dan

OP
OP
md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
So, from what I am understanding then, the "fogging" effect is actually a series of several thousand scratches, and the windows do no lose their color from things like the sun, or soap (carwash?), etc?

So, if you keep them really clean, and don't ever scratch them, they should never fade out and turn?

U

Unregistered

Randy offered some good tips when I ordered mine. He suggested I make some sort of soft cloth carrying pouch so that when you pulled the windows you have a safe place to sotre them.

I'm not sure if there will be a "safe place" when you're out wheelin. What's worse, a little dust or the window riding in between a tool box and the back seat?

Any ideas?

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
To my knowledge it is just all teh scratches as you suggest and not actual discoloring. I have been told to get a polisher that is used on aircraft (like cessnas and the sort) and that that will do a good job of getting the scratches out. If your careful you can go a long time with out having to worry about it.

OP
OP
md_lucky_13

md_lucky_13

Loc.
Idaho
I guess that leaves me with a final question:

Is there a wax/spary/protectant that will help prevent scratches from happening? Is there some kind of wax you can put on it to help keep the dust from sticking? I'm planning on being overly cautious, but I want to have any advantage I can get...

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
There is also another product called Plexus plastic cleaner. Very good for the plastic windows. It seals and waxes making for easy cleaning.

Dan

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
Does anyone know the deminsions of teh STC windows. I am planning on making some pouches to slide the windows into when they are out

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Awnrie69 said:
Does anyone know the deminsions of teh STC windows. I am planning on making some pouches to slide the windows into when they are out

Just a note; you would still want the windows clean before you insert them into pouches.

For some ideas you might want to go to bestop's site or a jeep vender, (Essentials, Quadratrac) they sell pouches for jeep side windows.

Dan