• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STC top installation - Anyone do a little re-work??

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
Finished installation of a New style STC soft top. I'm not satisfied with how it looks. I'm going to try adding some nylon straps to put some tension on part of the top. I'd like to get it to straighten out some. I had the non zip out window style STC top previously and it had two straps.

Has anyone done something similar?

Any boat guys want to advise on pulling tarps, and canvas tops tight??

Pics:

CIMG3725.jpg

CIMG3724.jpg

CIMG3726.jpg

CIMG3727.jpg

Here's what my old STC top looked like

CIMG3577.jpg

CIMG3579.jpg

willtel

Have you parked it in the sun yet? Doesn't that cause them to tighten up some?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No, that actually stretches it out. Good to start in the heat though. That way they shrink up and hold tight.

But the big tension thing I see is your windshield frame. It's pulled way too far back and the door frame is actually on the outside of it, rather than behind it.
When tension is put on the top, it does pull the frame back, but that's excessive. Check that out and let us know if it's something obvious

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Of course, that's what I see in the older shots of the black top. Hard to tell in the new shots.
Why the two colors? Do you have both mounted up to the same hardware?

Paul

OP
OP
dalba4

dalba4

Loc.
Socal
White top is b/c I prefer the color and has zip out windows.

The bows and installation hardware were NOT re-used from the black top. I have two complete tops.

The previous owner of the top had it looking like this:

IMG_1244.jpg

I'm going to change out to a different header panel that came with my bikini top, I think it has a little more rise to it, might pull the first section a bit tighter.

From the pics I looked at this is about typical for these tops. The white color makes it more appearent, and the newer style has zipper and ridges that change the tension on the material.

I'm wondering if anyone has added some straps to these to straighten them out.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's an early Kayline zip-type (prior to becoming STC) without the zip-out windows.
See if it works this time.

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0578 (Large).JPG
    IMG_0578 (Large).JPG
    132 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2971 (Large).JPG
    IMG_2971 (Large).JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 33

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
My STC fits very snug & tight. I actually had to mod it the other way when I added my CRAB family cage because the hoops for the top wouldn't clear the rear cage hoop/legs and the back of the top was stretched too tight when everything was zipped up. Do you have the rear hoop for the top at it's "farthest" setting? As I recall there are 2 or 3 bolt holes you can use to locate the rear hoop when it's up with the bottom-most holes pushing it further back.

I have added straps to bikini tops to keep them from flapping around and it did help; if you can sew that should be pretty easy, otherwise you might be able to find a decent upholstery shop to help. Good luck.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I dont know that top as I have to older STC top with the with the fixed windows. but in my observations.
It looks to me like the bows are backwards or mounted too far forward. The center bar is too high and the rear bar too short. Look at the tube angles in your old top and the tube angles in the new top.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I think Rusty might be onto something there. Any chance that you have the bows backward--ie installed the cams on the wrong bows? That or as another poster mentioned...mine has I believe multiple positions for the cam to be mounted. Also are you sure you have the base (on the bed rails) mounted correctly--the right end front as that will also change the height (at center and length (both to the rear)? If you have it flipped around, then that might do it as well.

Let us know. I am sure its something simple.

Last edited:

ol gray mare

Since you got the top used, there's probably a good chance you didn't get the installation instructions. There are some details on measuring the windshield frame to the back corner, and related shims, etc. that are included in the instructions. If you didn't get them with the top, let me know and I can email or PM a copy to you. Also, take a good look at the release bracket on the rear bow, make sure you slide it all the way back in the elongated hole. And as said in a couple of earlier posts, you can raise/lengthen the rear bow by using the second hole in the release bracket. My top takes considerable effort to pull back and snap the release bracket tight on a cold day. Jim

Last edited: