• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Std. 3 speed to D20 input shaft?

mattt

Bronco Guru
Is this a standard 3 speed to D20 input shaft? I've had it hanging around for a while and would like to know what it is for sure. It seems like I've read that there is a length difference in the D20 input shaft with stock 3 speed vs. stock C4. I tried searching for that info but couldn't come up with what I was looking for. Anyone know of a thread that covers this info in detail? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• input.JPG
    input.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 20

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That looks like the manual trans shaft. Auto shaft is exactly 7 3/8" long. Manual shaft is about 3/8" longer.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
I'll have to double check that measurement again....in my head it was straight up 8", where the info you posted is 7 3/4". Is there tech article or thread that covers the differences? Where on that shaft is the addt'l 3/8"? Is it on the trans end or the transfer case end?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I'll have to double check that measurement again....in my head it was straight up 8", where the info you posted is 7 3/4". Is there tech article or thread that covers the differences? Where on that shaft is the addt'l 3/8"? Is it on the trans end or the transfer case end?

Don't know of an article on it. The extra 3/8" is on the trans end.

Are you looking to turn it into a C4 shaft? If so make sure it's at least 1 7/8" deep after the cut or it won't slide on the C4 output shaft enough to bolt the adapter on.

OP
OP
M

mattt

Bronco Guru
7 15/16" long. Mostly just trying to figure out what I have here. Thanks for the info since I couldn't find a definitive thread that had the info I was looking for.