• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

STD vs C-4 trans adaptors. Same?

6thBronco

Loc.
BC Canada
I just did a big road trip to collect the parts to swap a standard into my auto '75 EB. I know, why on earth do that?! Anyway, as happens too often the trans had no adaptor, bellhousing no arm, pedals turned out to be just the clutch pedal and the flywheel is a version E with a May '69 date which means 289?
Can I count on my C-4 adaptor working on the STD trans?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
No. They are not the same. And it depends on what transmission you want to use for the "adapter". Take a look at the transmission tech and you will find much information.

OP
OP
6thBronco

6thBronco

Loc.
BC Canada
76Broncofromhell said:
No. They are not the same. And it depends on what transmission you want to use for the "adapter". Take a look at the transmission tech and you will find much information.

Maybe I'm blind but the tech section doesn't seem to address someone switching a plain old 3spd into their auto truck.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
be sure and get the right adapter for your trans. the RAT and RAN tranny tail housings are different lengths.

the C-4 adapter definitely will not fit the 3 speed.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
In that case you need the 3 speed adapter. Your post wasn't very specific on that. A lot of guys have those old adapters lying around. But why would you even bother swapping a 3 speed in? It seems like sort of a waste to me.

OP
OP
6thBronco

6thBronco

Loc.
BC Canada
76Broncofromhell said:
In that case you need the 3 speed adapter. Your post wasn't very specific on that. A lot of guys have those old adapters lying around. But why would you even bother swapping a 3 speed in? It seems like sort of a waste to me.

This is for my wife and we both HATE autos. From them trying to keep the engine at 1200 rpm all the time to needing $2000 plus work now and then that none of us DIYs can do, means we wouldn't have one until were too old to push in a clutch. There simply is no option for normal street use. All the other manuals either cost a fortune or just give you more crawler gears and still no OD. We've had a bunch of EBs and there's nothing bad about a rebuilt 3spd with a good floor shifter!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
post in the want adds for an adapter although you'll probably get a whole 3 sp setup. As for the flywheel it will work 289/302 flywheels are the same although just make sure it accepts the 11" clutch if not you'll have to use a 10.5in clutch. Not a real big deal

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
6thBronco said:
This is for my wife and we both HATE autos. From them trying to keep the engine at 1200 rpm all the time to needing $2000 plus work now and then that none of us DIYs can do, means we wouldn't have one until were too old to push in a clutch. There simply is no option for normal street use. All the other manuals either cost a fortune or just give you more crawler gears and still no OD. We've had a bunch of EBs and there's nothing bad about a rebuilt 3spd with a good floor shifter!
Auto trannies are actually pretty easy to work on for Do It Yourselfer and the cost of parts for them is pretty cheap. A C4 can be rebuilt for about $300 in parts. That said, G-Money has one here in Vancouver, WA right now that he is just giving away that he posted up here earlier today. If you can talk him into shipping it then that may be an option for you to get the 3 speed parts.