• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel vs. Fiberglass Bodies

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I've got a buddy looking to build a new Bronco and we're looking at building it from the ground up. In that vein, the question arises on whether to go with a steel or fiberglass body, and if fiberglass, which manufacturer?
TIA, Joe

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I don't have any experience with fiberglass tubs, but if you decide to go that route check out http://www.broncodesign.com/. He is a member here and does excellent work from the posts I have seen here. I'm gonna be ordering a half cab from him once I get that far and the cash.

EDIT: Damn Revelation beat me to it.

plumbdoctor

Loc.
Golden
I did the Kentrol tub, in the early 90's, it had 2x4 supports that eventually warped... not to bad just the tailgate opening bowed out and had to re enforce w/ steel. They should be better now, I would shop around for a while. Good news no rust, bad news you will block sand till you puke, or keep it a light color and it won't show to bad

Revelation

Bronco Guru
The Broncodesign tub has all box steel supports. Check them out on his page. ( I am waiting to hear from mike and i will post a few pics of his tub.)

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Just spoke with Mike and he said to post away, He did say the only issue with these pics is the under cowl area, he is adjusting his molds to tighten the gap.
The last pic is the inner frame that is molded into the body.

Attachments

• broncodesign 016.jpg
    broncodesign 016.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 380
  • broncodesign 017.jpg
    broncodesign 017.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 370
  • broncodesign 021.jpg
    broncodesign 021.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 350
  • broncodesign 030.jpg
    broncodesign 030.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 349
  • tub inner frame (21).jpg
    tub inner frame (21).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 347

ryoungbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Belmar, NJ
Glass from www.broncodesign.com
Only uncut glass tub on the market.

How much is his tub? Sorry for the highjack. I got a terracomp fiberglass body. It's well built. I went with this because my metal body was way too far rusted to repair and I didn't have the time. There are full metal kits to build a metal body but they are just as expensive as fiberglass and they don't come already put together. Fiberglass will need some things done to it. Holes need to be cut and you need the measurements. Some bolt holes need to be drilled and tapped. Although there is some work and adjusting I liked knowing that my body will not rust out again. My .02

Deano

Bronco Guru
I have a Kentrol body my freind has a Teracomp body both are made very well . I've only seen pics of bronco design and it looks like it's done rite to so you have some choices on the FG bodys. You can buy most every part for the metal body now and I herd that there was a metal body in the works. Witch ever way you go good luck and have fun building it the way you want it.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
What kind of rig are you guys looking to build?
Something a bit more streetable than your latest build?
My Kentrol tub takes a pounding off road and holds up very well. The hood is also a good piece as are the inner fenders.
The front fenders could be better. I've cracked the flares a few times plus fitting them was a PITA where 3 body pieces meet.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Dynacor is making a new all steel bronco body. It willbe very high dollar but it I had deep pockets that is the way I would go! The glass bodies are nice but the older ones had issues I worked on one that the rear wheel opening were differant from one side to the other! also they used wood that woul get wet if the bolts were not sealled.
What about finding a good used steel tub? Out west I konw they can still be found.

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
What kind of rig are you guys looking to build?

Primarily a daily driver type, with decent capability on forest service roads. In essence, a '93 Mustang drivetrain, topped by a Bronco body and riding on 33s.

So far we're thinking an Explorer 5.0, built AOD, D20, D44 front and 8.8 rear and I'm thinking Ected lockers, AC, PW, PL, full top with sliding glass windows, etc...

We've also been looking at the reconditioned steel tubs like this, price is comparable to the fiberglass tub:
Joe
IMG_0336.JPG

Revelation

Bronco Guru
How much is his tub?

From BroncoDesign
Tub is $3450. Note the differences between mine and others-

Mine comes with the inner aprons, inner fenders and core support already attached. JUST LIKE THE FACTORY TUB.

It has a finished underbody, engine compartment, inner cowl, and kickpanels. No visible raw glass. I'm even working on a mold to finish the insides of the upper quarters.

It has a full steel inner frame that is encapsulated by the under/inner body pieces and fills all the molded in rib pockets. Because the inner frame connects to the chassis, it provides grounding to the dash and light assemblies. The frame has vertical posts with mounting plates for the tailgate pivots and latches as well as adjustable mounting plates just like the factory for the door hinges and striker. All the weight of the doors is carried by the posts BEHIND the glass. The glass is not subject to any stress.

It has steel reinforcement in all appropriate areas- pedal assembly mount, steering column mount, etc.

It is assembled ON A BRONCO CHASSIS, fitted, and drilled. There is no measuring and drilling to get it to line up on the customers frame which is very difficult and time consuming for some people. All the body mount bolts go through steel frame members.

The floor has dimples where all the seat and seat belt mounting holes go so no measuring there either. I also trace all the firewall openings with a template of the factory openings so you simply get out a saw or drill to make the holes appropriate to your wiring harness.

IT IS UNCUT. You can cut it if you want and add the flares of your choice, or keep it original. YOU HAVE A CHOICE.

My goal was to eliminate all the objections people have to fiberglass and make it easy to choose. Hopefully they think I succeeded.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I have seen Broncodesigns products and they are really nice. I have not seen the body but if it is anthing like his other stuff it will be nice also his price is really good just looked up the Terracomp body and it was more and did not include the front items.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I was at the BroncoDesign shop over the summer and tried everything I could to sneek the tub he was working on out of there. The craftsmanship is second to none IMO. Tthe tub being finished even underneath is a huge indication of the quality of his product.

Now if someone would make a Carbon Fiber frame,,,,,,

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Thnaks Rev, i need to start socking some pennys away!

Revelation

Bronco Guru
And while I was there, we did discuss a glass "Eyebrow".
He is making replacement Quarters, fenders, hood, grill, dash, Windshield frame, half cab and full cab tops, I did talk to him about making a tailgate but the labor and cost would not make it a good piece to produce.