• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steel vs. Fiberglass Bodies

NYLES

Bronco Guru
After seeing broncodesigns front clip ....man that would be nice to have it already attached to the tub....I say this putting on a tub is easy...lining up the front clip and attaching it Diff story!

Gotta give a AAA+ on that!

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
I do like the Bronco Designs tub, especially at the price/value point he's at. What's the lead time to get one? Or even two of them?
Joe

new to bronco

Loc.
Milton Fl
Talked to Mike he say's about 3 or4 weeks to get body,he even said bring your frame up when you pick up tub he will help install tub. Going to order mine very soon.

Last edited:

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Talked to Mike he say's about 3 or4 weeks to get body,he even said bring your frame up when you pick up tub he will help install tub. Going to order mine very soon.

Glad to hear that, Mike had asked me about riding up to get it to deliver to you. I was working up an estimate when he said you will be in Va. next month, Can't beat that deal!
And I was all ready to take a Pa. trip in Chipper!!

EagertoLearn

Loc.
Harrisville
What is the price for the tub? I was not able to pull it up on the site. I pulled up the tub, but did not see where to get price from.

uncletom

Loc.
Mass City
I bought my Bronco body from 4Wheel Drive Hardware in 1984. I believe it is a Kentrol body. I spent countless hours trying to get everything lined up and I could not get it to fit properly. It's ok for me but I wish it was of the quality I see being made today. Here in Michigan rust is a constant battle. Fiberglass gets my vote!

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
New fiberglass tub

Howdy all-
Bryan was nice to post some shots I sent him of the new baby we just delivered. Its still not perfect yet but a good starting point. I just completed a new mold tonight that finishes the inside of the upper quarters so the last visible raw glass will be gone. It also effectively doubles the thickness so it has the feel and strength of the factory skin.

My web guy does sites for really big companies and is being shipped all over the country to service his clients. I'm his charity case, hence no tub pricing or fresh photos on the site yet. My apologies.

The steel vs fiberglass debate is totally subjective. I'm comfortable with fiberglass having built composite boats and planes. A fiberglass bronco is natural to me. You cannot deny the appearance of steel. Nothing looks as good as a perfect steel body. However, I want to use my truck, leave it out in the rain overnight, kiss a tree once in a while. Use it, not baby it. I'd feel like crap damaging a nice steel body. I don't have the courage to wheel a nice steel body like some of you guys do. As steel trucks get scarcer, its kind of a crime to beat a good one. I also believe its far easier for the average guy to repair a glass body than a steel body. Its basically an art project. Get some glass and resin. Grind the bad spots. Patch the cracks, fill it in level and sand it smooth. Prime/block/paint. Once you wrinkle a steel body you either have to be Jesse James with an english wheel or farm it out to a pro. Some of us are not great welders. Just some of my thoughts in the ongoing steel/glass wars.

Rgds to all and thanks for the kind words. Heres a few more shots of the new tub showing the assemble process. Patents should issue soon covering the internal frame and assembly system.

Attachments

• 1. tub assembly underbody skin.jpg
    1. tub assembly underbody skin.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 2. tub assembly underbody skin 2.jpg
    2. tub assembly underbody skin 2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 3. tub assembly inner frame installed.jpg
    3. tub assembly inner frame installed.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 4. tub assembly inner body skin installed.jpg
    4. tub assembly inner body skin installed.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 5. tub assembly undercowl apron skin installed.jpg
    5. tub assembly undercowl apron skin installed.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 6. tub assembly outer body skin installed.jpg
    6. tub assembly outer body skin installed.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 132

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Whaddaya mean more streetable? Rides like a dream, OK, really it needs a front sway bar, but after that--Fantastic!
Joe
Maybe I was talking about heat and A/C.;D

That drivetrain sounds like a decent and easy combo to put together. There nothing wrong with the Ected's but if you dont want a L/S with the locker turned off take a look at Eaton's e-locker. Since they redesigned it a couple of years ago I've put in 6 or 7 of them and not an issue with any of them. Some of them are taking a good pounding too.

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
half cabs- hard and soft

Hey 99-
Half cabs have been selling well since I introduced them this spring. I'm working on a soft half cab with my upholsterer now that uses an insulated bikini top, our new "backdraft" wind blocker (See rev's topless thread), and zip in sides that connect the top and back. It will cost about the same as a glass half cab but will be the ultimate in convertability- closed cab, bikini and "jammer", or bikini alone. One thing we're doing is using soft top materials outside and pinpoint headliner material inside- finished on both sides. Windows are sewn in just like Mercedes and Porsche. No unsightly RF welding seams. We'll be testing them on Ebay soon. This isn't really a top for your trail truck but rather a highly finished suit of clothes for the street guys who have nicely finished interiors and are sick of the usual chinese crap and looking at the backing of the outside as they drive around. We just finished the redesign of the soft windows using the NOS pieces Josh Stover "Tito" sent me as a baseline. With my roadster doors, soft windows, and a hard or soft half cab, you're set for winter.

Best Rgds, Mike

OP
OP
rjlougee

rjlougee

Bronco Guru
Maybe I was talking about heat and A/C.;D

It will have heat before Winter sets in, don't need it now. Don't really need AC out here either, I'm happy with the safari top.

Not convinced on any of the lockers just yet, whichever way we go will be the same front/back, so either I swap a 31 spline 8.8 into the back and go electric or keep the 9" and go ARBs.
Joe