• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering box" feel" question

oldiron

Bronco Guru
I just changed out the steering box in the daily driver '72 because of a pretty bad leak. I replaced it with another 6 turn box I had as a spare for just such an occasion. Here's the question since I have no real frame of reference, the old box is super easy to turn, almost one finger steering easy. The new(er) box is much tighter/harder to turn. It seems to return to center better than the old one and track straight as far as I can tell. It feels a lot like more modern power steering. Since this is my only EB with power steering, and I have nothing to compare it to, which one is correct? Is it supposed to be super easy (think late 60's cadillac) or have a stiffer feel? Both are being powered by the same ford(thompson) pump. 31 inch tires if it matters.
Any thoughts?
Greg

navi

I just changed out the steering box in the daily driver '72 because of a pretty bad leak. I replaced it with another 6 turn box I had as a spare for just such an occasion. Here's the question since I have no real frame of reference, the old box is super easy to turn, almost one finger steering easy. The new(er) box is much tighter/harder to turn. It seems to return to center better than the old one and track straight as far as I can tell. It feels a lot like more modern power steering. Since this is my only EB with power steering, and I have nothing to compare it to, which one is correct? Is it supposed to be super easy (think late 60's cadillac) or have a stiffer feel? Both are being powered by the same ford(thompson) pump. 31 inch tires if it matters.
Any thoughts?
Greg

Mine has easy steering also, but there is some play in it. As in, you can turn the wheel a bit and not change direction, but the steering wheel itself turns with little effort.

My previous bronco had firmer steering and it seemed more correct that way. My folks had a 64 Impala that was pretty sweet, with firm but more accurate steering.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you verify that it was indeed a full 6-turn box after you installed it? Or before I suppose, if you turned the input by hand?

If they are both stock boxes then there is no reason I can think of that it's harder to turn unless it has been rebuilt to yours (or someone's) own specifications by someone that knows how to work with the little torsion bar setup inside the input section.

I would somehow make sure it's not binding up too. Maybe by disconnecting the draglink from the box and turning it by hand if that's possible? Or turning it by hand with the engine running, which I would think is possible with power steering.

Good luck.

Paul

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I had my stock 76’ box rebuilt and increased the steering feel. Stock 76’-77’ is 20:1 ratio, which is about 4.25 turns lock to lock. Steering input is measured by in.lbs. Stock is 25-30in.lbs, I had Lee’s set mine at 35in.lbs. It’s a lot nicer to drive at freeway speed, it’s not nearly as twitchy. But gone are the days of spinning the wheel lock to lock, with the palm of my hand! Now I really do have to say “Hold my beer, watch this!” :)

Mark

Attachments

• 935C1CD8-8BA2-4B08-AB2A-D29EF07CB0DA.jpg
    935C1CD8-8BA2-4B08-AB2A-D29EF07CB0DA.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
Sorry for the late reply, everything that could go wrong at work went very wrong. Today is the first day I've been able to get back at this. To answer Pauls question it is indeed a 6 turn box I bought from a fellow member about 2 years ago. No history on rebuilt or not, just sat on my shelf till needed. Very similar to what Garberz describes...steering is tight, returns to center very well, tracks straight, seems more like modern steering. But gone are the days of palming the wheel from lock to lock (even with the pitman arm disconnected).
I did notice that the steering gear is very warm after a long (20 mile) drive, about the same temp as the pump housing. Since I've never actually felt of the steering gear after a drive I would assume that it should be pretty warm, but wanted to at least mention it in case that is a red flag of some sort.
I believe I'm good to go. If anyone thinks of something that needs to be looked into further or raises suspicions, please let me know.
Greg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You're right about the heat. They do get very warm under normal conditions. I don't think I've ever seen anyone check the heat though. This would seem to be very good to know, so maybe you and others can use some IR thermometers and check the heat under different conditions.
Too hot to even touch would seem excessive, but then again that's why they installed coolers on some steering systems.

I'll see if I can remember to check mine (stock 6-turn box, Exploder pump and a pretty decent sized cooler) next time I drive it for some distance.

Thanks for the update.

Paul

OP
OP
oldiron

oldiron

Bronco Guru
You're right about the heat. They do get very warm under normal conditions. I don't think I've ever seen anyone check the heat though. This would seem to be very good to know, so maybe you and others can use some IR thermometers and check the heat under different conditions.
Too hot to even touch would seem excessive, but then again that's why they installed coolers on some steering systems.

I'll see if I can remember to check mine (stock 6-turn box, Exploder pump and a pretty decent sized cooler) next time I drive it for some distance.

Thanks for the update.

Paul
Update. It's been a few weeks and 1000 miles since installing the new steering box. Temps at the box run a consistent 115-120 degrees. I really like the firmer feel, and have convinced myself that it's supposed to be that way. NO MORE leaks either.
Greg