• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Box Line Issue

RedWings69

Contributor
Need some help in identify what I missing - The high pressure line blew at the crimp on the steering box side. It was old. I have ordered 2 different lines - 1 from local parts store and 1 from well known Bronco site (no names as they are great) and neither line will thread into the motor. I then went and had a line made from the old fittings (they are totally different than stock) and while it threads in just fine I cannot get it stop leaking badly as is the nut is not seated into the motor correctly - What am I dong wrong other than the threads are messed up but they look perfect.

Background - this motor was rebuilt 18 months ago and has worked great ever since. I am kicking myself for not replacing the lines at that time.

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20210728_202707.jpg
    0_IMG_20210728_202707.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 0_IMG_20210728_202651.jpg
    0_IMG_20210728_202651.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 0_IMG_20210728_202611.jpg
    0_IMG_20210728_202611.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 64
  • 0_IMG_20210727_201831.jpg
    0_IMG_20210727_201831.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 0_IMG_20210727_201926.jpg
    0_IMG_20210727_201926.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 0_IMG_20210727_201922.jpg
    0_IMG_20210727_201922.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 54

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
leaking at the steering gear box or the power steering pump fitting? what power steering pump are you using? the ford pump or the aftermarket GM Canned ham style power steering pump?

OP
OP
RedWings69

RedWings69

Contributor
Leaking at the steering gear box fitting - The pump was on the rig from the get go but I am pretty sure its a Ford - Picture attached - what is getting me is the this is the old fitting which should be no issue - almost seems like I am getting to much pressure?

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_201839.jpg
    IMG_20210727_201839.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
RedWings69

RedWings69

Contributor
Wrong pic....

Attachments

• IMG_20210727_201839 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210727_201839 (2).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 36

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Need some clarification. Power steering hoses don't thread into a motor. They go between the pump and the steering box. The first post is a bunch of pictures of the steering box. Even more confusing as the pump is attached to the engine. Now there are follow up pictures of the pump, but they are generic frontal shots and nothing to do with where the hose attaches. It sounds like you are having issues with the hose leaking where it attaches to the pump, but you have no pictures of that area, which is odd as most people post pictures of the problem area. So I don't even know where the problem area is at.

You had a new hose made with the old ends, correct? But the old ends leak now and they didn't before?

Too confused.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
from what I see is the stock ford pump, the hose pictured is connected correctly runs from the port it is screwed into to the return tube on the pump. the other port on the steering box goes to the fitting on the back of the pump the high pressure line. the return line is low pressure which is why it uses hose clamps.

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Need some help in identify what I missing - The high pressure line blew at the crimp on the steering box side. It was old. I have ordered 2 different lines - 1 from local parts store and 1 from well known Bronco site (no names as they are great) and neither line will thread into the motor. I then went and had a line made from the old fittings (they are totally different than stock) and while it threads in just fine I cannot get it stop leaking badly as is the nut is not seated into the motor correctly - What am I dong wrong other than the threads are messed up but they look perfect.

Background - this motor was rebuilt 18 months ago and has worked great ever since. I am kicking myself for not replacing the lines at that time.

To the OP Proof read the above post confusing???

Pics show stock style PS pump which is attached to engine return line still connected..

stock steering gear also shown in pics, with return hose attached no leaks at either connection right??

Pressure hoses shown{2},, Old one shown with hose crimp seperated from tube end that attaches to steering gear correct? New replacement one shown appears the tube nut maybe incorrect or poor fit where it screws into steering box ?? Did the other end attach to pump OK?

It appears you had a new line made up and they used the original tube nut and tube at the steering gear end?CORRECT??and now you can't get that end to seal at the steering gear.. If so try tighten and loosen the tube nut a couple of times and then retighten and see if then seals,,

OP
OP
RedWings69

RedWings69

Contributor
To clarify - yes I keep saying motor (long story as I have always referred it as a motor) but I am referring to the steering box as to where my problem is, not the pump. In one of the pictures you will see the open port on the box where the high pressure line comes in from the pump. that is my issue. Rustytruck was asking what pump was mounted so that is why a picture was sent.

Yes to your last question - 2 new "factory" hoses will not thread into the box - new compression fitting hose made with old ends and I am still getting a fluid leak at box. Not trying to be confusing trust me just looking to see what I could be missing other than a cross threading issue but the old one goes on way to easy for that.

OP
OP
RedWings69

RedWings69

Contributor
To the OP Proof read the above post confusing???

Pics show stock style PS pump which is attached to engine return line still connected..

stock steering gear also shown in pics, with return hose attached no leaks at either connection right??

Pressure hoses shown{2},, Old one shown with hose crimp seperated from tube end that attaches to steering gear correct? New replacement one shown appears the tube nut maybe incorrect or poor fit where it screws into steering box ?? Did the other end attach to pump OK?

It appears you had a new line made up and they used the original tube nut and tube at the steering gear end?CORRECT??and now you can't get that end to seal at the steering gear.. If so try tighten and loosen the tube nut a couple of times and then retighten and see if then seals,,

No leaks on the return lines from the box to the pump.
Correct on pic with hoses - old one shown with crimp off and 1 of 2 new hoses that will not thread into steering box but both did thread into the pump with no issues.
Correct on old fittings but new hose I will attempt to massage the inverted flange a couple of times and then tighten the tube nut again.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
A stock EB pressure hose from the local autopart store or any of the EB vendors will hook up to both your stock pump and stock steering box as long as they're still in stock form.

However, to me it appears that the mounting area for the hoses on your steering box has somehow been machined. If the pressure port was drilled out and tapped for a larger size during this machining, that would explain the stock hose not working. In the picture with the old hose and replacement hose, the fitting looks larger on the old hose, and it's definitely and aftermarket custom built line. It's not any kind of stock line with such a short metal section.

OP
OP
RedWings69

RedWings69

Contributor
A stock EB pressure hose from the local autopart store or any of the EB vendors will hook up to both your stock pump and stock steering box as long as they're still in stock form.

However, to me it appears that the mounting area for the hoses on your steering box has somehow been machined. If the pressure port was drilled out and tapped for a larger size during this machining, that would explain the stock hose not working. In the picture with the old hose and replacement hose, the fitting looks larger on the old hose, and it's definitely and aftermarket custom built line. It's not any kind of stock line with such a short metal section.

Thank you for the help on this and you are correct - the steering box port has been re-tapped at some point. The local hydraulic shop was kind enough to give me several fittings to play with. I was able to reseat the old fitting last night with a little more patience. The hose they made will probably never fail but at some point I will need to address it. Thanks again.