• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column cover (bezel) for 2" aftermarket column

thiswildbronco

I have an Ididit tilt manual column (2" dia).

My goal would have been to either go with the stock style bezel (black ABS plastic with Bronco script) or black billet bezel. But, it appears that options for bezels with 2" holes are few and far between. The only ones I've found have too much CNC detail around the mounting bolts for my taste.

I'd really rather not have a gap (even 1/8" would bug the heck out of me).

Does anyone know of a 2" steering column cover that better mimics the stock cover?

chuckji

Contributor
Loc.
SE Michigan
Just a thought, but what if you took the 2” CNC bezel and flipped it around so the flat surface is facing out?

OP
OP
thiswildbronco

thiswildbronco

Just a thought, but what if you took the 2” CNC bezel and flipped it around so the flat surface is facing out?

Interesting idea... Thanks for sharing. I'll ask to have a vendor see if they can't send me a pic of the rear. It may or may not be finished adequately.

Thanks again!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We have this one: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Billet_Aluminum_Column_Cover/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts
I know it's a billet, but it's not as ornate as some of the others. And it's flat on the back and the last time I checked was fully finished.
But with the recessed screw holes, it's obviously better suited to mounting with the machined side out.

We had a 2" black plastic cover with a Bronco script on it, but I don't see it at the moment. Either I'm blind or we took it down due to lack of availability. Once a part goes dark at the manufacturers for awhile with no end in sight, we remove the listings from our site until we get some confirmation that they're available again.

But I'm going to dig back into it. Maybe we combined the plastic ones like we did this one.

paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
then again, there's always the old "2 inch I.D. black smooth ABS pipe ploy" you could initiate.
Cut a 2" piece of 1/8" wall ABS or regular plastic tubing (maybe TAP Plastics has something?), split it down the middle, wrap it around the column to fill the void. Or better yet glue it to the bezel.
You could leave it slightly proud of the bezel, like that machined billet one has a collar piece, or I think making it flush or even a bit recessed would look better.

Not the best solution perhaps, but until we find that black plastic 2" bezel it's something to think about.

Paul

Sam 15

Thank you Paul!!!

I did find this: https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/product/black-billet-smooth-steering-column-trim-bezel

But I see it is for the 2 1/4" stock, and I am not interested in looking at a gap around the narrower Ididit column. I appreciate the suggestion!!!

A split collar may work for you. If you have a small lathe you can put a 45 degree or bigger radius edge on it for better looks. Just throwing out suggestions.

https://www.grainger.com/product/CLIMAX-METAL-PRODUCTS-Black-Oxide-Steel-Shaft-Collar-29NY01

Rick

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Something like that might look pretty slick. It would cover up the gap, look kind of "industrial-chique" and start conversations around the campfire, or gas pump almost every time!

You could mount lights on it marked "4WD" and "Check Engine" or even "Cuisinart" (a little Back to the Future reference there ;);D ) to really get the questions flowing!

Paul