• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column play

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
So I had been a bit concerned about the amount of play in the steering wheel/column in my '73. Bought the full rebuild kit for the steering column and decided today was the day. As mentioned, everything underneath is tight so I have also purchased a Borgeson shaft collapsible. First thing after I removed the Grant steering wheel horn button, I noticed the movement in the steering wheel on the shaft, the nut was not torqued down. Replaced the bearing, sleeve, redid the automatic shift arms bushing, etc and put it back together, torqued the steering wheel and took if for a spin...DAMN. Tight, responsive...adios sloppy steering column and play...best money spent and I have not even replaced the lower steering shaft yet.

Squid

Loc.
San Diego
Thanks for the post, I will have to look at mine. Mine is loose with a good inch and a half turn each way while holding the rag joint. Based on the fact that it is a solid shaft from the steering wheel to he rag joint it is probably he same thing as yours.

Squid

jarhed1984

Loc.
Homosassa, Fl
Thanks for posting that Bob. Started to finish off the power steering upgrade with a Grant GT wheel. Pulled the old armstrong wheel to find I don't even have a top bushing. Its on order, glad to hear this is going to change the feel of the finished product. Still have too much slop as it is.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
JBG is where I bought the parts guys. Was very fast and simple and a huge difference...yet to install Borgenson steering shaft in it as I have a small amount of play on the u joint at the box...looking at a 4x4x2 box just to cut down the amount of turns.

OP
OP
bronco_daddy

bronco_daddy

Loc.
Paso Robles, CA
While there is still the allotted distance between the steering wheel moving and the pitman arm moving, the steering is much tighter at the steering wheel and much more responsive. I find myself adjusting the sector shaft looser and looser to obtain a more free steering feel...that big of a difference.

Went like this: dc'd the battery, pulled the steering wheel, pulled the adapter hub (15/16 nut) removed 3 phillips screws to remove turn signal assembly. Removed to nuts at twelve and 6 o'clock and then made sure the wiring harness through the column had slack as you have to pull it up to get the turn signal assembly far enough out.

From her I used a socket and knocked out the bearing, goes in one way. Put in the new one and lubed it and the steering shaft with marine grease. Put the assembly back on and then inserted the bushing and lubed it all very well.

Took the automatic gear selector apart and rebushed that also and is now nice and firm. Upon assembly, the two nuts removed is a little tricky. catch half a thread on the bolt on the other side and you will understand what I am saying as you have to have the bolt connected and then fitted into a slot.

Torque the steering wheel adapter down and put the steering wheel back on and that was that....

Next is the steering shaft and a saginaw ps pump and most likely will buy a 4x4x2 box this week also...then throw in my hydroboost