• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column Seal

mnido

Anyone have this issue and if so how did you resolve ? The seal around my Flaming River column is not snug, how did yoyu resolve ? Also what if anything holds the column secure to the mount ? I suppose I could use a clamp, is there some other method or part missing that you can see in the photo's ? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2004.jpg
    IMG_2004.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2005.jpg
    IMG_2005.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 85

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i think they make a smaller seal for that column??

Some guys use a hose clamp, i got a used clamp from toms i believe. Its basically a metal strap that has the ends bent and drilled and a bolt goes through it.

Man them lag bolts are nasty looking. id get rid of them for a few bolts and nylocks or acorn nuts.

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

i think they make a smaller seal for that column??

Some guys use a hose clamp, i got a used clamp from toms i believe. Its basically a metal strap that has the ends bent and drilled and a bolt goes through it.

Man them lag bolts are nasty looking. id get rid of them for a few bolts and nylocks or acorn nuts.

Yes, I should have said something about those..they are temporary..

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I believe Wild Horses sells a thicker column boot for such applications. I used it once on a customers truck and it fit great.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If that is the 2" column, I have the boot that WH sells that I got by mistake. I'll sell it at a discount if your interested. Mine is a 2 1/4" and I'm re-using the stock clamp and boot.

Jim W.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 77 has a stock clamp that goes over the top of the column

OP
OP
mnido

mnido

Thanks All ! I am ordering the seal from Wildhorse, and getting a stainless steel clamp. Thanks

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA

Attachments

• 8269_4357_popup.jpg
    8269_4357_popup.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 11626_4358_popup.jpg
    11626_4358_popup.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 2

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
That's where the confusion came from%) I ordered the seal for the Ididit column not realizing mine is the 2 1/4" one. Also having issues trying to get the correct steering wheel adapter. FR has a straight shaft, Ididit a taper. I think there is a spline count differance too but I could be mistaken.

Jim W.