• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering column seal, Flaming River Swivel, not normal.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, why is it always me?

I bought the Flaming River kit from Tom’s and then the Firewall Swivel mount cause it looks nice, from Flaming River as well.

https://www.flamingriver.com/fr20101br1-1966-77-ford-bronco-swivel-floor-mount

I could prob ask Tom’s or Flaming River what they do, but they’ve prob never actually used it so asking here.

On the firewall, there is an opening around the swivel ring. I can’t use the stock seal cause it seems as though this piece was designed to fit on the outside, despite watching some videos of their different firewall seals that are made for the inside. So, I’ve mounted it on the outside.

Ideally, I need to find a simple boot that is 3.2-3.25 on the larger diameter and 2.0” on the smaller or a boot that presses against the inner firewall enough to seal.

Here is the inside:
IMG_7273.jpeg

Outer view:
image.jpg

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I could do like a silicone reducer but might not look nice, might be able to use shrink tubing but unsure on that look as well otherwise just searching for a generic boot and curious what anyone else has done with this.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Just noticed this part comes off so could prob sandwich a Seals-it seal behind this.

image.jpg

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you actually try mounting it with the plates on opposite sides of the firewall? Just to see if it fits any better and lends itself more easily to sealing?
The big plate is just too big to mount inside?

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
At first, after watching videos I felt like an idiot forounting it on the outside and was ab9ut to move it but realized why I did. It can't fit any other way. It has a bend in it for the outside only.. I mean if it were on the inside, the round part would still be on the outside and also it won't fit with the stock nuts welded on the inside either. Won't sit flush. Must be outside.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
I'm gonna a try cutting a piece of the fiberglass silicone cloth I used for my boot. I bet that'll work great.

OP
OP
ba123

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Done.

Should work great and if I notice any leaks then a little clear silicone will be fine.

IMG_7279.jpeg
You can see the tiniest bit of material but looks good to me.
IMG_7280.jpeg

I cut a circle and then used a round just under 2" cookie cutter to cut the circle.