• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Column... what goes here?

swmrdrn

My steering column has never felt right. It is a 67 with a 3 speed manual column but the truck was converted to a C4. It keeps breaking the turn signal canceling tabs so I decided to dig a little deeper. This is what I found. it sure looks like something (bearing or bushing) should be there. What do the experts say and how do I fix it?

Attachments

• 89D248CA-BA21-45F2-9830-D9508F811685.jpg
    89D248CA-BA21-45F2-9830-D9508F811685.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 122

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I believe you need the bearing and cone for an early column. That upper cone may be alright if it will fit the bearing. I like the original cone because it is made of metal and the repair one is plastic. The spring is compressed on it when you tighten down the steering wheel. Ken

OP
OP
S

swmrdrn

OP
OP
S

swmrdrn

I believe you need the bearing and cone for an early column. That upper cone may be alright if it will fit the bearing. I like the original cone because it is made of metal and the repair one is plastic. The spring is compressed on it when you tighten down the steering wheel. Ken

So.... That come is acutely supposed to slide down five shaft? I thought it was machined in there. I know there is a ton of load in the spring. Something tells me that it is frozen on there.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My steering column has never felt right. ...

Looks pretty grungy in there. No wonder it didn't feel right. I wonder if the old upper bearing just disintegrated over time? Might be part of the grit that's in there now.

Here's our page of available original style parts:https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts
Starting at the third row are the basic bits and pieces. Bearings look like something out of your old bicycle, but that's what they used.
Pull the shaft, clean it all out, and put some of the new stuff in there.

What's it look like down near the bottom? Does it have the bearing, sealing washer (felt washer) and clamp (#2279)?
The felt washer thingy is typically the first to go, the dirt and grit work their way up, and things just do downhill from there. But hey, the did last 40 years in some environments. Others were worn out at 10 years, but lots of variables in-between.
Maybe the PO used the steering wheel to haul themselves up into the cabin? That's a guaranteed early death for most older steering columns. And some modern ones as well...

Now seems the time to pull it apart, clean it up, smooth the shaft and paint it up, then put it all back together with new parts.

Not sure what's causing the turn signal cams to break so quickly, but a good bet would be a combination of cold weather and cheap Chinese parts.
That'll get them cancelling cams every time...%)

Paul

OP
OP
S

swmrdrn

I'm guessing that the bearing is all but gone in there. I will take your advise and replace everything in there.

Since I'm not using any of the shifting functions can I just delete the shift tube? I have one of your nice billet aluminum steering column shift delete collars but have yet to install it. It doesn't appear to have a connection for the shift tube so I'm guessing I just leave it out when I rebuild the column..?

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...lar_Billet_Aluminum/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good question. I'm not sure.
It would seem logical that if you don't need it, you could leave it out. But if the tube is also a functional part of anchoring other parts (or centering bearings, or whatever) then it may need to remain.

The good news is that if you don't need it, you could sell it. I'm sure there's someone out there that needs one and can't buy then new anymore.

Paul

OP
OP
S

swmrdrn

Good question. I'm not sure.
It would seem logical that if you don't need it, you could leave it out. But if the tube is also a functional part of anchoring other parts (or centering bearings, or whatever) then it may need to remain.

The good news is that if you don't need it, you could sell it. I'm sure there's someone out there that needs one and can't buy then new anymore.

Paul

Agreed but the billet shit delete collar that WH sells clearly doesn't anchor the shift tube. I'm guessing that since to use it you must have abandoned all shift features they expect you to pull the shift tube. Definitely one of those items where instructions would have really helped. That said, it is beautifully made and I can't wait to get it installed.

Attachments

• 82D39B10-F62F-45AA-BEA9-0FB12CD6212F-6414-000006EAD0033407.jpeg
    82D39B10-F62F-45AA-BEA9-0FB12CD6212F-6414-000006EAD0033407.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 4

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I'm guessing that the bearing is all but gone in there. I will take your advise and replace everything in there.

Since I'm not using any of the shifting functions can I just delete the shift tube? I have one of your nice billet aluminum steering column shift delete collars but have yet to install it. It doesn't appear to have a connection for the shift tube so I'm guessing I just leave it out when I rebuild the column..?

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/produ...lar_Billet_Aluminum/Bronco_Stock_Column_Parts

You can pull that shift tube out if not using it. Ken