• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering linkage replacement. Stock or aftermarket?

Having the manual steering box rebuilt and doing a front disc conversion from Horsepower on ebay thanks to the advise I got here. To get the steering box out I had to cut the drag link with a sawzall. Since I can't reuse the drag link and the tie rod looks a little bent I have replace these regardless. Should I go with the stock replacement or some type of upgrade? If so is there a bolt in option that offers superior strength and/or handling improvements? This is a weekend street truck at the moment so don't need anything too radical. Have a Duff lift that appears to be about 3.5 inches as 33" tires have plenty of room.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
What year is your bronco?

The aftermarket 3 way adjustable setups are really nice. I am running one and it is really beefy. I had to go aftermarket though as I am running the larger F150/big bronco knuckles. That said, the stock replacement linkages are completely sufficient and work just fine. I would recommend an adjustable drag link since you have a lift. It will allow you to re-center everything that the lift throws off. I am running a Tom's Bronco adjustable drag link and am happy with it.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I have the three way adjustable from Wild Horses and I really like the way it is built. And have the adjustable trac bar from Tom's. Everything looks bomb proof.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you are one of the rare cases where stock is just fine. Manual steering (sounds like you are keeping since the box is being rebuilt) doesn't load the steering components like a power steering gear would. You are not running super oversized tires. There are plenty of options if you don't mind drilling, reaming, modifying stuff. But simple bolt in that you request the stock parts are up to the task. They lasted the past 40 years, that's a pretty good sign that they were probably a good match.

A 2-way adjustable (probably going to have to get a 3-say adjustable) does offer one nice thing over stock. You can get the steering wheel a lot more centered. With stock you set the toe and to get the wheel straight you take it off and move it a few splines until it is as close as possible. With an extra adjustment you can dial it in finer than one spline jumps.

Don't need to go to all the 1-ton heim joint super steering for a manual steering truck on 33s.