• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering wheel play, How to fix

CarpeBronco72

Loc.
Brownsville, Texaco
I have a bunch of play in my steering wheel. Is it from the steering shaft or is it from the steering box. What do I need to fix it and how much will it cost me.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
steering box is yer problem. There is a set screw kind of deal on top you can tighten up, but if ya go too tight you eat up the gears inside... Like I did to mine :(

if you need to tighten that thing odds are stuff is just plain worn I'd send it out to West Texas Off-road and have 'em rebuild it, only set ya back $100.00 and it'll be WAY better off!!!

:cool:

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Don't mess with the sector gear preload, this is not usually the cause of excessive play unless the nut became loose and it was allowed to back-off the original adjustment. Check your rag joint and the big pal-nut that is on the end where the column connects. This is usually the problem if it's in the steering. It's pretty common to have track bar bushings loose or sloppy so check those too. My $0.02 worth~bh

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
Slick said:
steering box is yer problem. There is a set screw kind of deal on top you can tighten up, but if ya go too tight you eat up the gears inside... Like I did to mine :(

if you need to tighten that thing odds are stuff is just plain worn I'd send it out to West Texas Off-road and have 'em rebuild it, only set ya back $100.00 and it'll be WAY better off!!!

:cool:

I just got mine back from them...only $127 with shipping. Everyplace around here (Seattle) want upto $300.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Lay under it while someone turns the steering wheel back & forth just past the slack and take a good look at the track bar bushings before changing the steering box. If the track bar bushings are bad the body & frame will move back & forth before the wheels move. Mine didnt even have any left in it at all. Makes for a real exciting drive home.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
u can adjust some out of the box if all else fails. Just not very much before u destroy ur sector shaft. like I metioned earlier West Texas Offroad does the box fast and cheap..u can even get it setup for hydrosteer (at least that's what I think it's called). It will help if u want to push really big meats around.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Do not just change the adjustment on the box. It has to be done right or you will screw up your box. Spend a little time looking at everything from the column down and see what is causing the slop then let us know and we can start to figure out what if anything is your problem. From what you told us the column may not be bolted down. or the steering wheel nut may be loose. We need information. If you need to adjust the box give me a call and I will tell you how.

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Mine was pretty sloppy too, but after installing new poly in the trac bar, c-bushing, and radius arms it took care of my problem. Might do these first and see if it fixes your problem.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
Alright, I'm not doing anything anyway. Maybe I can get a tech writer tag by my name.
FIrst be sure your EB is driving straight into where you are working on it
Remove the pitman arm
Turn steering wheel from lock to lock counting the total turns Lets say 4
Divide the total by 2 as in 4/2=2
Turn the steering wheel back exactly 1/2 way as in 2 turns
This is the center of your box
You can adjust the sector shaft screw now.
Loosen the lock nut
Turn the screw in until you can just feel the bind as you rock the wheel back and forth over center (the book says 11 inch pounds)
Hold the screw and tighten the lock nut
With the box centered you should be able to put the pitman arm back on without moving the box or wheels.
IF I LEFT SOMETHING OUT LET ME KNOW
good night

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
CarpeBronco72 said:
I have a bunch of play in my steering wheel. Is it from the steering shaft or is it from the steering box. What do I need to fix it and how much will it cost me.

Did you ever say weather it was a power or manual steering gear? ?:?

jaydub01

Loc.
Daytona Beach, FL
i had the same problem, until i replaced my drag link with a new adjustable one. Took out all the play, and took away the tracking feeling i get from the 15.50" wide tires, Eliminated all problems, tightened it up, and super easy...

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
This could be a lot of things, Some mentioned. Tie rods, Draglink, Steering box, Steering shaft, Track bar. Just replace it all with top quality stuff, and all is good;)