• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Steering Wheel Resto Question

Aloha Mr Hand

Loc.
Humboldt Co.
I'm FINALLY getting to the point where my interior is going back together. Dynamat is in, column is painted and rebuilt, so are the heater and airboxes. I redid the dash by welding up the radio and ash tray openings and cut 4 holes for gauges, that needs to be painted this weekend if the weather holds.

Question... I epoxied up some cracks in my stock steering wheel at the base of the two spokes (69 model) and I need to repaint... the whole thing?, just the repair area? what kind of paint? I know they make plastic bumper paint and such... what is the best kind or brand for this application where I'm going to be gripping it all the time.... If worse comes to worse, I could get a lace on cover for the rim, but that wouldn't be ideal unless there is a nice quality one out there I haven't seen yet.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks,

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i think Eastwood makes products for the refinishing of steering wheels. might want to go online and check out their catalog.

OP
OP
Aloha Mr Hand

Aloha Mr Hand

Loc.
Humboldt Co.
I just looked at Eastwood and they do have a few steering wheel restoration kits, but none include a topcoat, basically they just consist of epoxy and self-etching primer, which I already have, I'm mainly wondering about the top coat. It needs to stick well and wear well.... I've been using black epoxy appliance paint from Ace for a few things here and there and it seems to work well, goes on smooth and almost impossible to get a run, maybe I'll try that, or I have some single stage enamel that I'm going to shoot the dash with.... ??? opinions please...