• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stinky gear Oil!

benkokes

Is there anyway to get gear oil that has not be odorized? Even though I like the smell of rotten eggs, I want to get some non-odorized stuff for the Trans Case...

ideas?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
For a dana 20 transfer case you can run some Redline or Amsoil full synthetic straight 50 weight oil

It smells great, hehe

Edit, added a pic of what I run in my tranfer case

Attachments

• 50Wt.JPG
    50Wt.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The odor is the sulfur that is part of the high pressure additive package. If you want to run something different, go to the GM dealer and get some of their gear oil. It is grape scented ;D

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
Broncobowsher said:
The odor is the sulfur that is part of the high pressure additive package. If you want to run something different, go to the GM dealer and get some of their gear oil. It is grape scented ;D

That's becuase artificial grape flavoring IS actually a component used in some lubricants - mostly for jet engines, but I guess GM is using that stuff now too. I'll bet the inside of a GE turbofan sure smells good!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I second the vote for Synthetic but the tcase spec's actually call for 50W engine oil. But many people have run gear oil with no problem if going with gear oil I would get the lowest viscosty they have especailly if your in a colder climate.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
AZMike said:
That's becuase artificial grape flavoring IS actually a component used in some lubricants - mostly for jet engines, but I guess GM is using that stuff now too. I'll bet the inside of a GE turbofan sure smells good!

Not really...
The grape scent is added to the synthetic gear oil to hide the stench of hot gear oil when you run the truck too hard. Knew a few people who actually worked on that project %) :-X

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Been running 75w-90 Synthetic in mine for going on 10 years with no ill effects. Same goes for the front and rear diffs.

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
Broncobowsher said:
Not really...
The grape scent is added to the synthetic gear oil to hide the stench of hot gear oil when you run the truck too hard. Knew a few people who actually worked on that project %) :-X

Artificial grape flavor/scent is a chemical called Methyl anthranilate one if its properties (and the original use of it) is that it inhibits corrosion of magnesium - thus the use in jet engines.

I bet that using grape scent was not entirely by chance in this application.

Warning: doing a google search on Methyl anthranilate might cause you to toss anny grape flavored stuff in your house - it's also used as a pesticde among other things. :eek:

OP
OP
B

benkokes

smell isnt so nice in the cab

Well, since I have a few of the drivetrain components sticking up inside the cab (Like the tranny shift tower), I would like to eliminate that smell. I care less about the axles and transfer case. Also I bought a PTO winch and want to put in the non-smelling stuff in there. If it leaks then I dont want the fan to be pullling in that rotten-egg vapor into my face.