• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock 302 Thermostat

Rusted1

For those of you running a stock 302 motor, what degree thermostat are you using? Reading the temp on my stock gauge it appears to be running around 200 degrees. seems a little hot to me and its not even summer???

JMurray

I run a 180 tstadt, it always stays there.
I would check the guage if you think youre running hot & dont have any other symptoms of overheating.
Jerry

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
It's also easy to check the stat. boil some water with a thermometer to measure the temp and drop it in. See if it opens as the temp crosses the correct temp range. All new stats tell you to do this in the packaging to make sure they work.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
The auto parts books say the correct one is 195f, which almost no one uses including myself. I believe the 195 is the approximate temp the stat starts to open. It is not fully open until over 200F. Maybe you just have the one reccomended by Ford.

OP
OP
Rusted1

Rusted1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. It probably is the stock stat.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
I know I run the risk of starting an argument, but here goes. I have tried a 180 in my rig, and found that in real hot temps/slow speeds, eventually I would overheat. But, with a 195 in it, I stopped that mess. I figure, with the higher temp, it keeps the water from circulating so much, that it has time to dissipate some heat in the radiator. I sort of confirmed this with a infrared thermometer, and found that the radiator cycled from about 180 to 200 on opening and closing of the t-stat. This was at the fins closest to the inlet of the radiator, and idling in my driveway at about 90 deg ambient temp.

tgwoody

Loc.
Arizona
I run a Cobra 5. 0 and reside in Arizona - It's been in the 70-high 80's my temp on the freeway has not topped 180 yet. If I remember in the summer with the temp in the 100-110 my rig temp gets above 200. I have to run the fan to keep it there.

TG 8)

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Engine studies typically conclude 180-deg is best for an optimum balance between wear, power and emissions. Late model cars typically run at higher temperatures for fuel consumption / emissions reasons.

Go 180-deg ... but not lower. For every 10-deg increment below 180-deg, engine wear curves almost go exponential. A 160-deg thermostat should only be used to offset a compromised cooling system and it's ability to dissapate heat before spiraling into the 200++ range.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Go 180 with the robert shaw performance thermostat it was available at PEP Boys and other places it is a balenced thermostat and will open at 180 rapidly and not do a slow creap opening like a stock thermostat. If you go less than that you will get excessive cylinder taper wear and your heater will be marginal. also bump your pressure cap to 15 lbs and use a recovery bottle if you dont have one. this allows the cooling system to fill completely and will give you better cooling performance and raise the boiling point to over 265 with proper coolant mix.

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
[quote author=swood link=board=5;threadid=15027;start=0#msg113573 date=1047265560]
It's also easy to check the stat. boil some water with a thermometer to measure the temp and drop it in. See if it opens as the temp crosses the correct temp range. All new stats tell you to do this in the packaging to make sure they work.
[/quote]

Mine didn't...By the way I run a Mr. Gasket Hi-Flow Balanced Thermostat part # 720-4364 @ Jegs $8.99

76BroncoSport

Loc.
McKinney, Texas
[quote author=76BroncoSport link=board=5;threadid=15027;start=0#msg115235 date=1047687083]
[quote author=swood link=board=5;threadid=15027;start=0#msg113573 date=1047265560]
[/quote]

Mine didn't...By the way I run a Mr. Gasket Hi-Flow Thermostat part # 720-4364 @ Jegs $8.99
[/quote]

Oh and here's a cool link http://performanceunlimited.com/illustrations/thermostats.html