• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock bumpers with winch and receiver hitch

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did I see something here about stock bumpers with above items, and reinforced with metal behind bumper for strength? If there is thread would somebody point me there. Thanks

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I know it's been done but it was a while back. As far as a reciever most of the vendors sell one that fits below the rear bumper.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
dzKaLPJ.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The really short answer, build the structure tucked in and skin it with a decorative stock bumper. When I got my last one there was thick steel hidden behind the stock bumpers. I took the chrome bumper off the front and just welded an old Bellview winch on at first. For the front the biggest issue is often just figuring the packaging without getting into the radiator. For the rear I remember a guy made a nice hitch that was tucked in really nice, so nice that he couldn't get the pin in. And there is a gas tank that keeps you from tucking stuff in too much.

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't think so, I can try to look better tomorrow if you want. I went out there just now and took a pic from both top and bottom. They might help a little.
5eOT0yT.jpg

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Guess you have to pick a small winch first or at least compact, then build the inner structure like bowser said. Thanks Norm for the pics.

elan

Loc.
s
Did I miss any mention of PTO's ? A number of companies made them for early Broncos.
Or, did you want electric only.

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Did I miss any mention of PTO's ? A number of companies made them for early Broncos.

I have a PTO bumper and winch and may go that route but it sticks so far out the front of the bronco and it is also extremely heavy.

Thanks for the pics! love the look of it tucked in there with the stock bumper.

OP
OP
F

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Well my buddy has a mile marker hydraulic I can get cheap 😀 not pto but compact

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
I don't think so, I can try to look better tomorrow if you want. I went out there just now and took a pic from both top and bottom. They might help a little.
5eOT0yT.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I had the build thread saved for this setup, but like others have said. The pictures are gone. Oh well, I should be able to recreate something like it.

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I saw that one wish we had the pics. Norm did he have to cut the core support?

Post 61 in that thread was my attempt. To answer the OP question about modding the core. No, I did not have to modify the core, but if I remember correctly I may have had to put a slight notch one of the lower radiator supports. The driver side I think. When I get a chance I'll look and report back.