• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock C4 transmission

leathermandave

I installed my 1974 stock newly rebuilt C4 transmission, I “force bolted” the two together… A no-no… and I knew better. I didn’t have the torque converter fully seated… I believe that when you force that transmission to bolt up like that it crushes the pump. So it ran and moved itself along for a little while but eventually came to a stop and wouldn’t move any more. The engine would just rev up… My question is, will the rest of the transmission be ok? In total I drove for about 10-15 min before it wouldn't drive. Also looking for where I can get a stock replacement pump... Any thoughts on the transmission would be most helpful

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
C4 hard parts have been difficult to find since covid hit. Before then, you could easily find a rebuilt pump for about $75. Now you'll be lucky if you can find one for under $300. I have seen some all new aftermarket pumps in recent years, but they are very pricey. You can probably get new gears for a reasonable price if the pump housing and stator are in good shape.

As for the rest of the C4, you'll have to open it up to see what other damage may have happened. Certainly it has ground metal from the broken pump gears in it, so it will need a good cleaning.