• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock coil test resistance

turbotim2

Can someone please tell me what the in spec resistances should be on a stock 77?

Thanks!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As measured how Tim? You mean outside of the vehicle on a test stand? Or maybe how much weight on the front bumper it takes to compress 1" or something like that?

Or just a factory specification for lbs/in written down somewhere?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Yeah, "resistance" should have clued me in. But I'd had enough of electrical for a moment and was on to suspensions mentally.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
New unit of measurement for ignition coils makes sense though. How many lbs/in before it leaks?

Paul

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Got a new one and measures 2.4 ohms on the primary... supposed to be between 1.0 and 1.7. Maybe the old one is just fine. Or the new one isn't any good.

I have seen them range from 1/3 ohms to 3 ohms from the aftermarket. Depends on the application. I think 2.5 ish is right for a 4 or 6 cylinder. May just be that someone is consolidating parts and making a one size fits all coil. What brand and part number did you get? But, yes your old one could be fine. Are you having an ignition problem of some sort? Some of it could be meter error too, although even a crappy meter should be accurate to withing 10% or so. What kind of meter are you using to measure?