• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stock exhaust manifold on 1975

cfarrell2

I have a quick question, I am putting the stock exhaust manifolds on my 1975 bronco. They have been re-surfaced. Do I need to add a gasket or do I just bolt them on. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A lot of people use gaskets, like needabronco said.
I've never used a gasket on a stock cast-iron manifold though, and have never had a leak.

I would say that if yours have even been resurfaced and verified flat, that as long as your head's mating surface checks out flat with a straight-edge too, you could just mate them together gasketless.
If there are any irregularities or pits or some curvature though, I would definitely use a good high-quality gasket.

Anyone use the copper, aluminum or multi-layer steel (MLS) gaskets with a cast-iron manifold? I know a lot of us use them with headers, but don't remember anyone discussing it with stock manifolds.

Paul

OP
OP
C

cfarrell2

Thanks for the quick replies. They are flat. I guess I can just try first without gaskets and if I get have a leak can put on a gasket.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
When I rebuilt my 460, both heads and stock manifolds were re-surfaced,was told to use gaskets,but when I did each side would leak at diferent times after 3 sets. I pulled them off took out the gaskets put back on, no gaskets no leak going on 3 years now.when I took them off to get re-finish they had no gaskets.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I would go a head and put it on using gaskets.If you have problems later try with out.