• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stock faceplate bluetooth upgrade

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In this version it's just a dummy, although its a functional switch. It could easily be wired up to the faceplate or a different accessory. In the version that I will be selling, the left knob controls the volume as it was when stock and the right knob is an on/off switch for the whole unit.
I was hoping for next song:)

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

What price point do you think this product will end up at?
Pricing isn't finalized quite yet, and obviously this uses some stock parts, so that factors in. However its safe to say that the goal here is that a complete setup (faceplate, unamplified receiver, knobs and numbers plate) will be the same or less than a retro sounds.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Ok, I have added control via the right knob for pause/play, next track and previous track. It required a fair amount of reworking internal components but I've got it pretty well sorted out. In the meantime I have also gotten a freshly chromed faceplate, so once the illumination is worked back into the mix (hopefully this week) I should have a very handsome setup and something very close to a final version.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is super super cool! I shouldn't have given my new chromed faceplate away!
Ok, I have added control via the right knob for pause/play, next track and previous track. It required a fair amount of reworking internal components but I've got it pretty well sorted out. In the meantime I have also gotten a freshly chromed faceplate, so once the illumination is worked back into the mix (hopefully this week) I should have a very handsome setup and something very close to a final version

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

That is super super cool! I shouldn't have given my new chromed faceplate away!
you definitely should be trying to get that back, I am feeling very close to finish on this! Hoping to ship unit number one to my dude in PA this week!

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
So, pardon the ignorance on this, but this would be for bluetooth connection for Pandora and/or SiriusXM from your phone to the faceplate, similar to a bluetooth speaker, or just for music downloaded to your phone? I never got into downloading songs, I just use Pandora or SiriusXM when not riding the radio waves...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Years ago before all the options we have now I went with a bluetooth amp controlled via my phone and run my Pandora thru it. I can also receive phone calls, etc on it.

THIS IS WAY COOL. :)

I had wanted to keep the old skool look but didn't have the cool aftermarket tech that allows this to happen OR have your ability to put all this together with the stock faceplate.

I am interested in this for my Shorty build. Trying to decide on modern or retro on the interior still. This would be cool. Great work.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Does the next knob work still? I really want volume and next.
Yes, current version has controls for volume on the left knob, and pause/play, next track, and previous track on the right knob.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

So, pardon the ignorance on this, but this would be for bluetooth connection for Pandora and/or SiriusXM from your phone to the faceplate, similar to a bluetooth speaker, or just for music downloaded to your phone? I never got into downloading songs, I just use Pandora or SiriusXM when not riding the radio waves...
No need to pardon anything! This basically will take whatever audio is playing on your phone and relay it to an amp and speakers via your phones Bluetooth connection, so yes, very similar to a Bluetooth speaker. In addition this unit provides control for volume, pause/play, next track and previous track without having to touch your phone.
You could use it with downloaded songs (a good choice if you usually have spotty coverage) or any streaming service of your choice. I use spotify primarily and it let's me save Playlists on my phone for times when I don't have service, and I stream the rest of the time.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I love it.

I have my phone clamped quite securely to my crossbar at my dash. I use this mount because I run doorless 9 mo/yr. Having the knob would make it much easier than having to swipe my phone to get the screen to come back on which means for several months a year I have to take my glove off first, Then of course you have to hit the volume or whatever, whatever.

I think you've found it.

I have an old radio. I got it about 26 yrs ago to fill the holes. Now it can serve a cool purpose. I think I'll go resto mod interior in my Shorty build.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I love it.

I have my phone clamped quite securely to my crossbar at my dash. I use this mount because I run doorless 9 mo/yr. Having the knob would make it much easier than having to swipe my phone to get the screen to come back on which means for several months a year I have to take my glove off first, Then of course you have to hit the volume or whatever, whatever.

I think you've found it.

I have an old radio. I got it about 26 yrs ago to fill the holes. Now it can serve a cool purpose. I think I'll go resto mod interior in my Shorty build.
This is pretty much exactly where I was, and what drove me to make this. I spent a lot of time restoring my dash and wanted it to really look the part, but really needed some modern stereo tech.
My phone mounts in a custom holder above my windshield frame which was the most convenient I could make it for access to volume and play controls before I made this head unit, but this thing really brings it all together
I'm very much a restomod guy myself and really think this radio slips into that category nicely. I have been considering calling it the "RestoModern Radio".
THIS IS WAY COOL. :)

Great work.
Thank you!

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

so you have to drill the stock faceplate?
Yes. Just to enlarge the hole on the right side. I really couldn't find any way around it. It takes two seconds and wouldn't prevent the plate from going back to stock if you wanted to rebuild the original radio.

skinner

Contributor
You have sold me on this.. I may have missed it, but are you planning to make more to sell? Is this just a one off thing for yourself? Either way, applause to you for this..

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes. Just to enlarge the hole on the right side. I really couldn't find any way around it. It takes two seconds and wouldn't prevent the plate from going back to stock if you wanted to rebuild the original radio.
I would want to do it prior to chrome.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

New video up of final design, with volume and playback controls

nvrstuk

Contributor
Turned out great!!!

I need to send you my stock radio faceplate! :)