• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock fuel tanks

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I've got mult question regarding stock tanks. The tanks have been out of my 71 bronco for 15+ years and its time to recondtion and reinstall. Starting with the saddle tank,I've read that they can be 8.5 to 11 gals stock depending what year,does that mean there are multable size tanks offered by Ford? I've read someware that a smaller tank by changing the venting can take more fuel is this true? When it comes to cleaning the inside of either tank do you start with a solvent or lacquer thinner to remove the easy stuff and then use a acid wash? The rear tank being made of steel probley has rust inside and after the cleaning may or may not leak, if it passes as a precaution I know that they make a gas tank sealer what is the best to use? Also when it comes to the rear tank did all broncos come with a skid plate? I've owned multable broncos and it seems that all of them had skid plates on the saddle tanks but its hit and miss on the rear tank,was this a option? And last when it comes to installing the fuel gauge sending units are there any tricks to gaurd against leakage? I am lucky enough to have NOS sending units.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm guessing your '71 is probably going to be in the 7 to 8 gallon range myself. That's what mine was.
Although... After 15 years, maybe the plastic has expanded! I know mine was a lot harder to put back in than it was to take out. Just didn't want to squeeze back down that last little bit. I was sure I was going to split it along a seam or something.

There is a thread or two here about the mod to make it fill with more. Basically taking up some of the expansion room in the high section. I think Viperwolf was the one messing with it. Might try a quick search, but frankly I wouldn't know what search terms to use. Maybe the culprit will make himself known here.

Skid plates came on all side tanks, but was an option on rear main tanks up to '76. In '77 they all had a skid plate, which was integral to the mounting of the tank.

Not sure the best way to clean one, but a radiator shop was always a good start. Not sure about cleaners and patch products though.

One thing I would recommend though, is to triple-check your sending units to your gauge before you install them. Run them through their range and watch the gauge. Make sure they're "tuned" to the gauge first will save headaches later.

Good luck.

Paul