• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Hood, Stock Carb, No Body Lift, Which Aftermarket Air Cleaner?

bobhudson

Loc.
Texas
Wanting to know if anybody is running an aftermarket air cleaner with stock 2 barrel carb, stock hood and no body lift. How tall of an air cleaner, element wise, fits with this stock configuration? Diameter? Wanting to get rid of stock air cleaner and don't know where to begin to figure out what will fit. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I've got a 14x3 on mine and doesn't hit.

What type of 14 x 3 do you have? I have a 14 x 1.5 and it hits a little. The base on yours must be offset or something. I would love to find a 14 x 3 that would fit.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
I have a 1/2" carb spacer and can barely fit a 14x2. In fact, the wings on the nut broke off the first time I closed the hood. I did run a drop base for a while and it cleared easily, but it caught on my throttle linkage one time and almost led to the Bronco driving through the garage and on through the house. I think I can survive with a 2".

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Anyone know the part number for the K&N filter I keep seeing in pictures. It is a style with the normal side filter AND the top is not a solid lid -it has the same filtering material in a fan pattern.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
There was a thread on here a few months ago where somebody showed pics of a Mustang (I think) 5.0 HO air cleaner that looked ideal for the EBs. It has a dropped base, fully enclosed housing, 360* of good air intake instead of the restricted side intake of the stock unit and dual intake horns that were ducted to the grill to get cooler fresh outside air rather than the heated engine bay air that open element filters draw from.

Can't find the thread, maybe somebody else can. I've been thinking about going this route.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:D:D:DParts house offset typ you should have no problem running a 14x3. I run a 14x2 with a 351W and no body lift good luck and have fun.:D:D:D Bill %):cool:;D

73EB

Loc.
Bentonville, Ar
What type of 14 x 3 do you have? I have a 14 x 1.5 and it hits a little. The base on yours must be offset or something. I would love to find a 14 x 3 that would fit.

Sorry man just saw your post. it's definetly 3" it must be offset. The base was on it when I bought it. I can post a pic if you want proof.