• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock or 2G Alternator?

dclack

So I'm in the middle of my efi swap and serp setup using F250 brackets. Currently I have the stock f250 2G alt on and am wondering if it's even worth it or should I just stick with the stock Bronco alt? The f250 alt has the internal voltage regulator.

BUCKNBRONK

Loc.
fresno
um, yeah go with the upgrade...they have 4g's now.

no just ribbing u , stick with the stock set up, no need for more amps. all the extra wires and box for the regulator really dress up the engine bay nicely %)

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
Don't 2g's have a nasty habit of catching fire? I could be wrong but off the top of my head that seems to be what I recall about them.

I'd go to a 3G if your setup allows that.

rguest3

Bronco Guru
I would do the 3G, 4G or 6G conversion. More power and simple install with the correct pigtail/harness and inline fuse.

Check out BC Broncos for install info and diagram.

May take 1/2-1 hour tops.

OP
OP
dclack

dclack

I know it's better but I'm not doing 3G right now. I have a stock and 2G alt right now and both work, so it's one or the other.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 2G has no more output then stock. the 2G like to burn up the push connect power terminals.

I think stock is better, or upgrade to a 3G. 2G is my last choice.

pa69broncoguy

my truck serp setup on my 351 had a 2g alt. I had the local shop check it out and they told me it was a good ford reman so i just used it. I figured if its good why replace, besides i didnt have the cash to upgrade.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
A 3G is 27$ at the U-pull. Do it right, do it once.

It will work - have fun.