• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock Seat Recovering Questions

NC_Pinz

I'm going to head down the path of recovering my stock seats in the next couple of months. My plans are to go thru Bronco Hut for the blue Ranger seat material. Most likely CJ Pony Parts for all new foam as well as new seat bottom springs at least for the driver's seat. With 210k on the clock, the seat doesn't have the same spring as it once had.

In addition, I'm going with heads rests. Brackets from CJ Pony and 1969 Mustang head rest from Mustang's Unlimited.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Interior/Upholstery/Headrests/Dynacorn-Headrest-Assembly-Uncovered-1969-Mustang.axd

My questions. For those that have done this, is there anything special I need to do when I cut the top of the seat material for the head rest? For the head rest, I was going with a Parchment material and use a vinyl dye to match the blue. Thoughts?

Lastly, the seat backs have been exposed to a lot of sun. Can these be sanded down and painted? Or do I need to get new Parchment seat backs and paint those?

Thanks in advance.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Contact Melissa when you order your covers, I think she has the patterns for the headrests.

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
curious on the head rest cover/pattern situation. please report results

i got the seat and back material from Melissa and installed myself. it was a bit of a pain but was enjoyable and came out pretty well.

my seat backs were really oxidized and easy to scratch. the gal that did all my glass blasting on the sheet metal hit both seat backs with really low pressure. they came out really good. i used SEM adhesion promoter and black plastic paint. one could probably use a copper scouring pad or such and achieve a similar result with some sanding.

Hank

1strodeo

Contributor
Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
Just getting started on mine, now that we have some SUN to warm the covers!! I ordered mine from Bronco Hut as well, and the front covers came with new backs...the rears however did not come with armrest covers. I hear she has some type of dye for the old ones though, haven't called her yet.

Attachments

• bench seat.jpg
    bench seat.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 39

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
I just did one of my seats over the weekend. My hands still hurt 2 days later. It's a lot of work but well worth it. Good Luck and take your time...

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
My questions. For those that have done this, is there anything special I need to do when I cut the top of the seat material for the head rest? For the head rest, I was going with a Parchment material and use a vinyl dye to match the blue. Thoughts?

Lastly, the seat backs have been exposed to a lot of sun. Can these be sanded down and painted? Or do I need to get new Parchment seat backs and paint those?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing special. I did the upholstery first and then once everything was tightened up and attached to my liking I cut the slit for the headrests. IIRC I put the metal sleeve of the headrest bracket in before I did the upholstery and then the plastic sleeve slides in from the top through the upholstery once you cut the slit for it. I did have to tap the holes in the seat that the metal bracket attaches to, I think they were 1/4-20".

I would buy a new set of seat backs. I ordered upholstered ones when I ordered my seat upholstery. The plastic ones tend to degrade and disintegrate when you scratch them, old ones probably won't hold paint very well.
I just did one of my seats over the weekend. My hands still hurt 2 days later. It's a lot of work but well worth it. Good Luck and take your time...

I remember the hand soreness. Like you said definitely worth it though.

Attached is a pic of how mine turned out. These are Mustang "Sport" Foam and upholstery. The bolsters are a little thicker than standard Bronco covers.

Attachments

• Seats.jpg
    Seats.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 70

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Also, remember to save the upper back part of the foam. Other than TMI brand foam the new foam sets don't come with it, or it is the wrong shape.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
There are videos on You Tube for recovering mustang seats watch them it helps. If you have problems with listing wires use coat hanger wire. some of this work you can use zip ties to hold stuff in place while you compress the frame and springs so you can work stuff down. once you get it down then use the hog rings. so much easier on the hands. When your ready to put the covers on use dry cleaner bags on the seats then slide the covers over that. So much easier and for a while will keep moisture out of the foam.

Use good hog ring pliers not the little red handle piece of crap usually included in the kits. Order extra hog rings. The kits come with barely enough.

https://www.amazon.com/C-S-Osborne-...72&sr=8-9&keywords=hog+ring+pliers+upholstery

A good pair of compound side cutters helps in cutting the old and misplaced hog rings.

http://www.all-spec.com/Catalog/Han...MInfm-jr3l2gIVAdtkCh3trAf3EAQYAyABEgJUrPD_BwE

OP
OP
N

NC_Pinz

Awesome guys. Thanks for the feedback. Keep any more coming.

I was planning on getting good pliers, but hadn't considered buying extra rings.

I hadn't thought about upholstered seat backs. I'll check on that and material for the head rests to match the blue vinyl.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I use cable ties to cinch everything up and hold it tight while I apply the hog rings. It works great.

pennyduke

Loc.
Stafford
CJ Pony Has a real detailed Video on YouTube where they do some Mustang seats. I couldn't find any videos of actual Bronco seats. If anyone has a link for Bronco seats please post it up.