• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock steering wheel or Tom's?

Keep Tom's wheel on or go back to stock?

• Keep Tom's what are you thinking?

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Go back to stock for the classic look?

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I replaced my stock wheel with one of Tom's and have been thinking about going back to the stock wheel. I think it's a better classic look and the smaller wheel seems a bit ricey for my taste. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2004--11-240011.JPG
    2004--11-240011.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 59
  • 756709_22_full.jpg
    756709_22_full.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
CrazyJoe said:
* laughs *

I'm in the same boat, even my wife is screaming for me to go classic style.

My wife is the one that brought it up too, funny yours said the same thing. I alsmost sold the stock wheel a few months ago. Now I'm thinking I'm glad that I didn't. Now I might just sell the new Tom's wheel.

fwilder

Love the Tom's wheel, but I would say it depends on what the rest of you rig is like. If you are pretty stock, go stock. If not go with the Tom's wheel. It will feel nicer.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go from a GT that looks similar to the Tom's wheel and go to a wood GT will the brushed spokes like that.

302fix

Contributor
Too damn funny. I did the same (wasn't Toms but a $150 grant) and am going back to stock.

It just looks right.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
What's even funnier... Tom's is winning by a landslide right now.

I vote for the Toms Upgrade. Someday, I'll be replacing my Grant signiture series wheel for a Toms "Bronco" script wheel. But, only when my Bronco is a bit nicer on the eyes.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
I say keep with the tom's keep in mind all the reasons you went to it in the first place. My reasons for going to a smaller wheel was to get my hans in a more comfortable position, not feel or look like a bus driver every time you need to do a hard turn or u-turn, more leg room especially getting in and out of bucket seats and last was safety. If your not running shoulder belts those wheels can do a good number on your chest or impale you. If I has a stock restoration I would stick with stock but my preference is for a smaller sport type wheel.

How much you want for your toms wheel;D ;D

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
I know I did get Tom's wheel just after I upgraded to power steering for the same reasons. I also agree that the fit and feel of Tom's wheel is a lot nicer. It also does make it a lot easier for a 6'-2" tall guy to get in and out. I have also upgraded from the lap seat belts to shoulder belts for the aded safety. I guess it's just one of those things that's hard to say what looks better and what's right. I do however like the look of the stock wheel I just wish it were a lot smaller, but back when it had manual steering it worked for the job.

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Like said above, if you are going for the stock look, stick stock. Another reason I would stick with stock is if you don't have power steering, the leverage of that bigger wheel helps. Other than that, if you have P/S, and have other mods, the Tom's wheel is a nice fit.

Dave

neonizagas

Loc.
Minneapolis, MN
I got the Tom's steering wheel a couple years ago. When I opened the box it said Tom's Bronco Parts on the 2 side spokes?:? Called them at the time and was told that's the way they are now and they won't have anymore with the Bronco on the center spoke. I never installed it! Was looking over Tom's websight the other day and saw that they have the Bronco on the center spoke again. Called them and talked to Tom he said send it back if it was never installed and he will exchange it. Sent it back and got what I wanted after 2 years! NOW THAT"S CUSTOMER SERVICE! Thanks TOM and the crew!;D The stock steering wheel is long gone and the Bronco is not stock anymore either!

Gerry

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Big Rig said:
go back to the stock wheel. it's real classic and classy. then you can sell me your Tom's steering wheel. ;)

Ahhh No Way Big Rig I asked him first ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
Bronco Sport

Bronco Sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW Portland, Oregon
Sounds like from the response I should just stick with Tom's wheel. I'll still hold onto the stock wheel though. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
if you want the toms wheel, just tell her that extra padding is a safety thing. she doesnt want any crescent shaped divots in your forehead, does she?

ive got the stock one cuz im keeping my bronco stock. id say if you have done any other mods to yours, you should do what you think looks best.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I bought one of Toms wheels, and when I got it, I just wasn't real happy with it. So I donated it to Operation Bagdad Bronco, and bought a Lecarra wheel. I ove the Lecarra wheel, it is imbetween the size of Toms and the stock wheel, and I think it looks real cool.

I didn't realize at the time, maybee because it wasn't on there web page, but Wilde Horses sell Lecara steering wheels.

I just figured I would throw out another option for ya all

Attachments

• broncodashA.JPG
    broncodashA.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 24

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
I don't know. Tom's is meant for the EB in my opinion. But it doesn't work on every Bronco. If my brother put one in his I don't think it would work. But that's just me. I bought mine a looooooooong time ago and haven't had the Bronco together to put it in yet.

antnykk

Loc.
Northern New Jersey
I been trying to decide which wheel too. There are a lot of wood wheels that are small and still give it the classic look due to the wood. just food for thought.