• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stock tire rack question

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Anybody see any problem with welding the tire carrier bracket to the swing arm????

Thanks,
Tyler

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You're saying the bracket that actually holds the tire? The one issue I can see with this is if anyone ever wanted to install the "ranch hand" bracket on the passenger quarter panel. In order to use that bracket, the bracket that holds the tire needs to be removed and flipped around. Welding it on would prevent you from doing that.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Justin,
The reason I asked is because I just got a used tire carrier and I may be missing one bolt that I think would hold it in place. What goes thru the keyhole just below the long carriage bolt? Is that to lock the cable in place (that I don't have or want)?
Thanks,
Tyler

SeanT4x4

You might think twice about that safety cable. When i bought my Bronco it didn't have one either. First time I saw my spare tire swing loose off a stop light in traffic I almost pissed. For some reason I let it freak me out a few more times before I actually put a cable on it.

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Funny you mention that! The last stock tire carrier I had, on another Bronco, got away from me a couple times before I got serious about making sure it did not happen again.

One time it smacked a pine tree while trail riding. That will make you want to make a mess in your pants!

croft75

I made my own jeep style bracket with 3 studs and bolted it too the rack has worked just fine and looks a lot better,
I just used a piece of 2"x6"rectangular steel tube with a steel disk and the 3 studs

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
You are speaking my language! I love to build stuff. The later model Broncos mounted to studs also.

Texas CB

Loc.
Austin
Justin,
The reason I asked is because I just got a used tire carrier and I may be missing one bolt that I think would hold it in place. What goes thru the keyhole just below the long carriage bolt? Is that to lock the cable in place (that I don't have or want)?
Thanks,
Tyler

My cable was old and rusty and snapped when my tire swung open. Almost took out a biker next to me and flattened the chrome molding on the rear quarter panel where it hit. I replaced the cable immediately!

OP
OP
Teal68

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Can somebody post a pic of the cable and how it mounts and allows the tailgate to go down please. I have had 5 early Broncos and none of them have ever had the cable. Curiosity is getting the best of me now.

Thanks!