• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stock wiring/stereo

red76

Loc.
Raleigh, NC
How well does the stock wiring support a new stereo system with speakers. Just trying to get my priorities in line.<br><br>Thanks <br>Will

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
First off , I am no stereo install guy. I don't see a problem at all with a new stereo install. The only thing you use out of the stock wiring is a power wire. You probably don't want to listen to your new stereo through one speaker so the wiring to your new speakers will be self made. A ground wire is pretty easy. If you buy a amp that wouldn't hook into the wiring either , you run the big fat cable to the battery with a fuse in it. I did mine and haven't had a problem but like I said I'm no stereo install guy , there might be a better way.

68girl

Loc.
Connecticut
Stock Wiring won't support a modern stereo system, unless it is pretty basic. I know some of the aftermarket wiring harnesses do support a more (ahem) aggressive stereo system. Else, just run more wires to support the amp, etc.... Besides what he point of having a cool truck without a stereo system to match. :)

g-money

Loc.
Vancouver, WA
It will really depend on your stereo. If your going with a cheap deck and some speakers you will be fine or you could use the stock radio wire as the switched radio wire and run a new direct wire for power. <br><br>If you going to be running amps then it's a different story. You can still use the stock wire as the switched for the stereo and amp but you'll need dedicated power to actually run the stuff. You'll want a good strong power source directly from the battery (fused) then run that to a power distribution block then to each part of the system. You'll prbably also want a noise filter in the system as well. There are some web sites that show you how to wire a system. One is www.phoenixgold.com<br><br><br>Galen

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I hardwired everything to the battery so nothing is hooked to the wiring harness. Hook your amp to the battery (make sure you have a fuse between the two) and then put an inline fuse in the power wire from the deck, and splice that into the wire from the battery to the amp. The thing I like about this setup is that I can turn my stereo on, lock my tuffy console and take my keys with me when I go play basketball. That way, I don't worry about anyone jumping in with the key in the ignition.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
it's too easy to pull power for the deck from the battery to risk burning something up by running through the fuse box. On more modern stuff, the ignition switch just turns on the deck, but a seperate source powers it. Heck, your truck isn't wired for speakers anyway, what's one or two more wires?