• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

stoopid drive flange question...

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
...after several searches, cannot find the answer to my question (as i expose my utter lack of knowledge...):

What is a drive flange, and how does it differ from a regular hub?

cmud

Loc.
Eastern Washington
A drive flange is a chunk of metal that locks your axle to the hub, like having hubs locked, but stronger and you can't unlock it;)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Drive flange is a solid chunk of steel with only splines inside and outside for the axle and the hub. No moving parts. Nothing to disengage or engage. It is always on.

The key is that there are no parts to break. Brutal simplicity.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
okay, that is exactly what i thought. next question:

what are the cons to running drive flanges with an open front differential? consider both pavement and trail...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Reduced gas milesage, all the front axle parts are spinning any time the front wheels turn. Pretty much like any new 4WD truck/SUV on the market right now. It is basicly like locking the hubs in and never unlocking them. Which is what a lot of people do anyway.

Biggest issue is the front driveshaft on my truck has a rather steep U-joint angle due to the 7° bushings that I need to get some caster in it. If I drive as speeds I get a nasty vibration from that. I have forgotten to unlock a hub once and took off down the highway.