• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stripped bolt head Dana 20

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Sometime since 1966 the cap/bolt for one of the detent springs and ball was rounded off on my dana 20. I need to get it apart so I tried welding a nut to it but its not going to plan. I weld it on and let it cool but when I put a wrench on it, the nut just twists off. obviously, the weld is not penetrating the stripped bolt head. Not sure why the weld's not sticking but I really need this out so I can pull this thing apart. Any ideas?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
First see if you can drive a six point socket on it. if not cut a slot in the bolt head for a big impact screwdriver. heat the case around the bolt. Don't heat the bolt. Wack it a few times and it will come out.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
First see if you can drive a six point socket on it. if not cut a slot in the bolt head for a big impact screwdriver. heat the case around the bolt. Don't heat the bolt. Wack it a few times and it will come out.

I tried the six point socket but the problem with these bolts is that the bolt head is really shallow so it does not have a lot of meat on it to get the socket on. I'll have to try cutting a slot in it.

bigjhoov

nobody
Are you cleaning the bolt head before trying to weld on it? Every D20 I've worked on is covered in about 10 layers of oil. Might make a difference.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Bax,

Thanks for the advice. A slot cut into it worked great with the impact driver. I screwed around with this thing for an hour and a half trying to weld on nuts. Tried it your way and it was off in 5 minutes.

Does anyone sell those goofy detent spring bolts? I can reuse this one if I have to but a replacement would be a better choice if I can get one.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
JBG might have them. I'm sure Don Allison has a couple hundred laying around too.