• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Stuck in 4Low

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
After wheeling last weekend, I am having trouble getting out of 4Low and getting hubs to unlock.

Any tricks I should know about?

Thanks.

66fora69er

Contributor
youve tried it with the trans in nuetral right? have you tried slowly moving forward or in reverse while trying to move the TC shifter? not sure why the hubs would be stuck. good luck

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
X2 if you have a manual tranny try hitting reverse and just apply a little clutch then push back in while pulling back on the t case shifter. Its a common issue with the D20 also since the t case is a little bound up the hubs wont unlock heck i usually cant even get my hubs to unlock anytime its in 4wd.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The front and rear ratios are enough different that it causes the square-cut gears in the transfer case to bind up. It's worse with the common 3.54 front/3.50 rear because the rear is pushing the front and the two ratios are pretty different. The problem all but went away when I went to 4.09 front/4.11 rear where the difference is less and the front pulls the rear. Just back up about 20' and it should come loose.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
If you're on pavement you have a fit getting it freed up. Easiest way is just jack the front off ground and unlock the hubs.