• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Submission for biggest BS answer by a parts seller...

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
don't even get me started on guys at the dealership! ;D

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
I have had the same problem here that everybody else has had.

When i was in high school a good friend of mine (Ronnie) went and got a job at advanced auto parts. This was his first job at 16 yrs old. He had grew up working on cars and trucks due to his dad being a diesel mechanic. At about 6 or 7 yrs old he would go to the mud bog shows and would race the mini monster trucks (go-cart w/big tire and fiberglass truck body) and his dad would run a '79 F150 4X4. At the age of 12-14yrs old, Ronnie started racing the '79.

So when he got the job at ADV Auto, he was right at home. He still works at the same ADV Auto now (nov. will be 14 yrs). He is the store's Parts Pro and he is a dang good one! Prob one of the best one I have ever seen. When ever I call down to the store, I always ask for him because I know he can help me with whatever I'm looking for no matter how crazy the request. He understands and knows about swapping parts from different cars/trucks for upgrades to make it work because he is doing the same thing.

You can walk in the door with a part in hand and he knows what the part is, good idea of what it came off of, and prob knows the replacement part number off the top of his head.

The sad/bad part is he is currently on long term sick leave. He is about 200 miles away in Birmingham, AL in the hospital. He has been extremly sick (diagnosed with wilson's disease i think), almost died a few times, and hospitalised several times (currently in ccu on respriator). I know he has been in the hospital in B'ham for over a month now. I really don't like going into the parts store now because I think of my friend. I guess it is tough when you have been friends with a guy for 25 yrs used to seeing him at the parts store and having him answer most if not all your questions in just a min or two.

I hope he fully recovers from his sickness.

And I know that the local ADV Auto store will not be the same if he doesn't because they won't be able to replace him with some one as good or better.

The most of the other folks at the store are like the people ya'll are talking about. Folks that don't know anything about parts, how to look them up without a computer, or year/make/model. Heck....there are only a few folks who can cross reference part numbers.

Sorry for the long post and going on and on. I feel ya'lls pain about dealing with bone heads at the parts store......and I hate to see the best parts man I know and good friend sick and not at the parts store doing what he likes and what he is good at......

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
when you go into or call any auto parts store ask to speak to a person who handles wholesale parts. usually they're located in the back somewhere answering phones and taking part orders from local repair shops. they usually know their stuff and don't screw around wasting repair shops time. call and you might have to tell them you're with so and so shop but order the part and tell them to lay it out you'll pick it up later. this might not work in a small town parts store without lots of repair shops and limited number of employees.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
don't even get me started on guys at the dealership! ;D

But I have to......Back in 1970 I pulled a 240 CI 6 cyl out of a 65 F100 and put in a 390.I went to the Ford dealer and asked for motor mounts for a 390 in 65 truck.He said they didn't put a 390 in a 65 . I know ,but they had 352's ,right? He said they won't fit. Give me the GD parts.I took them home and dropped the motor in,just like factory.

Fast forward to this week...I have a Duffs power steering set-up and a3G alt all with alum pulleys. both belts were at the end of their adjustment,so I pulled them off ,went to Napa,I always go there when it isn't a off the shelf type part, handed him the belts and said 1 of each 1 inch shorter,here you go and I'm gone. He didn't ask what it fit and didn't even care.
I don't know if they charge anyone list price,but with my AAA discount it was 40% off list.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
I SAY that due to the fact that I AM the guy at the dealership :-X

BroncinBrandon

Loc.
Tri-City Az
I had the younger kid at the local autobone walk away from me. I dont remember what I was looking for but I guess he couldn't handle me. Best part was, we were in the middle of the search and me just walked away. I laughed about it atleast.

miikee73

Shadetree Guru
Loc.
Aloha
I SAY that due to the fact that I AM the guy at the dealership :-X

But I doubt you are THAT GUY!!! The guy I dealt with many years ago was irate ,that I would even ask for such a part. I was 18 yrs old at the time and he figured I was just another dumb kid. My mechanic experience started at 10 yrs old. .There is still a lot I don't have a clue about,and read a lot of tech threads just to gain information

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
love the belt story hits really close to home. i have never had a belt on any of my engines that was stock for log. AC goes out, remove snog pump, make better alernator adjustment, etc. I would just get so tired of walking in there with a part number only to have to go thtrough the whole whats it going on thing and then be told it won't fit.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...went to Napa,I always go there when it isn't a off the shelf type part, handed him the belts and said 1 of each 1 inch shorter,here you go and I'm gone. He didn't ask what it fit and didn't even care...

Hey Mike, I use that store too (Aloha Napa) and more often the Hillsboro Napa. 'Never had a problem with those guys. If Hillsboro doesn't have my part, they call Aloha or if not there call into Portland and have it later that day. This local chain rocks. I've heard Napa-idiot stories in other parts of the country though. :p