• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Summer doors with vent window left on.

hammer

Bronco Guru
I know Nickstrix has made a set of these before. Anyone else done it and have pics?

It's way down my project list but its something that I would eventually like to do once the truck is on the road. I purposely spent little time on the body work of my doors because I knew i would eventually redo them.

Attachments

• half door smoothy.JPG
    half door smoothy.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 157

MattW

I like the idea and I believe one of the vendors is even selling these now.

I don't think it would be that hard to gut a set of doors, cut the frames off, weld in a strip on each one and then clean it up and have a decent looking set of doors. Then again, what do I know?

Heus33

Bronco Guru
My doors have removeable frames. I have a set of full frames and a set of wing windows. No need to have a separate set of doors if you do it this way. I like having the wing windows because it allows me to roll the windows up about 3/4 of the way which is nice during those cool nights.

Attachments

• DSCF0192.jpg
    DSCF0192.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 145

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I like your thinking, Heuss. Mine are removable frames, but I've never taken them off because I don't like how they look without the wings. Now I just need to find some junk doors to rob the wings off of!

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I made a set, the doors were pretty much junk so I didn't feel bad about cutting them. I spent more to replace 1 wing window than I did on the doors. I filled the window holes, gutted the door, shaved the outside handles, next time i would put a little more thought into the wing window, i had to leave a gap behind it to install after paint.

Looks like I let my contributor status expire.... pics in a sec....

attachment.php

OP
OP
hammer

hammer

Bronco Guru
yeah good point. How did nick put a post down the backside of the wing window and still install them? It must be removable.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
yeah good point. How did nick put a post down the backside of the wing window and still install them? It must be removable.

Well, just thinking about it now, you could simply build them like a full window removable frame. So you unbolt the whole frame, take it out the top, and remove the window from the frame.... Did someone write that down for me? I am going to forget..

crews44

Loc.
Mullica Hill, NJ
I think another member did this. 70EB I think is his username. Looks good. I am thinking about doing this with my 67 doors. Just would like something less permanent. Also Bronco Design makes a drop in window frame with canvas and plastic windows.

addicted

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Broussard, Louisiana
I bought a set of 68 doors to put on my 73 because I like the look of no frames. That was before I saw what they look like with the wing windows still on. I really love that look. And it still supports the windsheild frame, which is a bonus. My 68 doors are in pretty good shape but Im wondering if it would be better to modify the removable frames to work or just sell them and modify a regular set of doors. I heard the 68 doors are kind of rare because the work without mods on the later years.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I bought a set of 68 doors to put on my 73 because I like the look of no frames. That was before I saw what they look like with the wing windows still on. I really love that look. And it still supports the windsheild frame, which is a bonus. My 68 doors are in pretty good shape but Im wondering if it would be better to modify the removable frames to work or just sell them and modify a regular set of doors. I heard the 68 doors are kind of rare because the work without mods on the later years.

The wing windows don't really support the windshield, just the weatherstripping.

And anyon can modify their frames to be removable - just drill out the spot welds, then tap the frames to accept some bolts.

I've got a spare set of window frames (sans wing window glass) that I've got for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Would make a good candidate for chopping them up and making something like this.

first timer

When you shave the doors, do you just keep the interior door handle and open from the inside or add a release somewhere else?

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I actually have the set that Nick made shown above in their original yellow. i would say that he left the wing window and the metal surround from the front part of the windowframe and then filled in the window channel. he also shaved the door handles and I had the side mirrors shaved since I run them on the windshield.

To answer the question on how to open the doors, I am tall enough to reach inside;D

I am, of course, forced to open the passenger side door for my wife:cool:

My future plan is to take another set of doors in awesome shape (thanks Crab) and use liftoff hinges to switch between the two dependant on weather.

Sorry I don't have better photos but I am a little away from my Bronco and photos att his point:mad:

Attachments

• Bronco%20final.jpg
    Bronco%20final.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 82

Heus33

Bronco Guru
When you shave the doors, do you just keep the interior door handle and open from the inside or add a release somewhere else?

I installed door poppers on mine so they open with a remote. This way I can get the wife's door every time with just the push of a button! :p