• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Summers Creeping up

adidas

Bronco Guru
Loc.
arizona
I'm kinda scared here, when I first go my bronco it was the end of summer and I noticed a over heating problem... what can I do to help? electric fans? Ive heard of fan shrowds that concentrate the air flow, but what else? I have a 65 degree thermestat in it already.<br><br>-Thanks, Jake

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
I think he meant a 165 thermostat. <br>Yeah a fan shroud is supposed to help with the cooling a great deal. You can also try Water Wetter by redline. It is supposed to lower the coolant temp by like 20 deg. And an electric auxillary fan will help out to if you have the room to put it.

hackyrat

The fan shroud is going to help you the most. Air is going to take the easiest route it can, kind of like people. If it can "short circuit" by not having to go through the radiator, it will. The shroud will direct all the air through the full surface of the radiator while improving fan efficiencies at the fan tips where you also will loose that lazy air. You will also improve engine compartment air flow by pulling in "new" air continuosly rather than blowing the same warm air round and round. Of course make sure your radiator is in good condition along with the rest of the cooling system.<br>One thing you can do to help with temporary heat problems is turn on your cab heater full bore. It may get hot inside but the extra heat removed from may help you through slow traffic or a long pull.

merciless

Loc.
Brooklyn, NY
[quote author=sandkimo link=board=5;threadid=13344;start=0#100448 date=1042696174]<br>the 20 dollar fan shroud will make SUCH a difference..<br>[/quote]<br><br>Where you find a $20 shroud?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Things you can do to make your Bronco run cooler:<br>1. Install a fan shroud<br>2. Replace your flex fan with a rigid blade fan<br>3. Upgrade your radiator or make sure the one you have is in good condition<br>4. Get ceramic or jet-hot headers or use header wrap (not recommended)<br>5. Remove your inner fenders or just cut out the side panels and replace with wire mesh or leave open<br>6. Remove the fresh air inlets from the cowl area<br>7. Cut vent holes in your hood<br>8. Install an oil cooler<br>9. Install an auxiliary transmission cooler (if you have an auto) and install it inline before the radiator<br>10. Install a high flow water pump<br>11. Convert to EFI<br>12. Drain your antifreeze and replace with all water spiked with a bottle of water pump lube

SCOTT

Loc.
Tok , AK
I had the same problem when I was living in Mississippi. I installed a 4 core radiator, transmission cooler, and a fan shroud. That did the trick for me.<br><br>Scott

sicaz66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
san diego
change over to the front pulleys and accessories from a late model explorer.here`s a link to a guy that has these setups: <br>Brian Wickert<br>Hanford, CA 93230<br>My pics: http://www.vintagebronco.com/bwickert/<br><br>FOR SALE:<br>COMPLETE EXPLORER Serpentine setups with all accessories(Alt,PS,AC) for<br>$700, delivered (recycled parts). You supply the belt, hoses, and a water<br>pump gasket.<br>Damper Dudes can RE-balance the damper for older 302's & 351W with 28 ounce<br>balancer for $55.<br>Explorer pics, without AC.<br>http://www.vintagebronco.com/bwickert/5L/Explorer5L.html<br>Can get individual pieces as well, just tell me what you want.<br><br>you can probably get it cheaper if you hunt down the parts from a junkyard.that`s what i did and eneded up with the whole motor after i sold what i did not need it cost me $230.00.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
My 302 C-4 never ran hot here, in CA desert even before I bought a shroud for it. It has no trans cooler yet, and I am using the stock fan. I think the key is to have a good radiator. Have a radiator shop build your unit for you, using a Daniel Brand High Effiency 3 or 4 row core. Add a shroud and take it with you to the radiator shop so they can custom fit it at the proper distance from the cooling element. Use a Robertshaw/Cooper High performance thermostat (Autozone sells this brand). If that doesn't cool down your rig with regular 50/50 antifreeze mix, you may have another underlying problem with your engine. <br><br>The following can also contribute to hotter than normal temps:<br>Fan spacer too short or too long.<br>Incorrect ignition timing. <br>A restricted exhaust system.<br>A kinked bypass hose.<br>Excessive porting or material removed from the exhaust ports.<br>Leaking head gasket.<br>Cracked head.<br>Radiator cap is wrong pressure or leaking .<br>Wrong water pump (cheap WP).<br>Improperly spaced impeller.<br>Under capacity impeller.<br>Fuel mixture too lean.<br>

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
[quote author=Dusty link=board=5;threadid=13344;start=0#100466 date=1042697913]<br>Things you can do to make your Bronco run cooler:<br><br><br>6. Remove the fresh air inlets from the cowl area<br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>What does that have to do with anything?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
also use the factory 7 blade fixed pitch fan and the smaller 289 water pump pully. run your heater hoses a little long and get them up on top of the inner fender so air better flows acroos the exhaust. Use an under the hood open element aircleaner the engine sucks up alot of hot air and allows more to flow through the radiator. If you have an automatic in a warm climate like yours bypass the tranny cooler in the radiator and get a large external cooler. Make sure the wire support is still inside your lower radiator hose. also use a 180 thermostat it is better for your engine and will also cool the engine better when things get really hot

OP
OP
adidas

adidas

Bronco Guru
Loc.
arizona
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=13344;start=0#100352 date=1042681069]<br>May I ask what a 65 degree thermostat is ? Is that metric or something ? ?:?<br>[/quote]<br><br>lol, yea 165 either way it pops open within a minute or so.<br><br>---------<br><br>Thanks for the tips, i think ill try a shrowd and see what happens<br><br>-Jake

Dusty

Bronco Guru
[quote author=thegreatjustino link=board=5;threadid=13344;start=0#100640 date=1042749764]<br>[quote author=Dusty link=board=5;threadid=13344;start=0#100466 date=1042697913]<br>Things you can do to make your Bronco run cooler:<br><br><br>6. Remove the fresh air inlets from the cowl area<br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>What does that have to do with anything?<br>[/quote]<br><br>It allows hot air from the engine compartment to escape through the vents in the hood.<br><br>Dusty

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
It's allready in the high 70's here during the day, and only gets down to the 50's at night. It will be 100+ before we know it around here.<br><br>Arizona, the concrete desert ;)