• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Super Shackle woes

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
While helping my buddy prep his Bronco for Moab, we notice the drivers side Super Shackle is cracking along welds for the rear plate. We realized this is due to the inside ear of the shackle, binding on the hanger. The leaf spring begins to twist the shackle, resulting in cracks. The stock shackle (red one pictured) lays flat where the leaf spring pulls equally on both ears of the shackle. The last picture shows where the Super Shackle contacts the hanger, then begins to twist from the spring. Anyone else run into this issue? He'll probably go back to a stock type shackle for now.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 158

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
How many years of use did he get out of those? I have them on my trail rig that I am building right now. Have not used them yet...but I do not like those pics.

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
They've been on there just over a year. We never checked for binding on the hanger. The other side has the same issue. They're just a little too wide at the base, compared to stockers.

Mark

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
They look great and are heavy duty, but they don't have the same range as the originals. Which are why mine are not on my crawler.

Bronco Junkie

So Cal Broncos
UGH! Only a year. Hmmm...well I guess I will just leave mine on and see what happens.

navalbronco66

I guess us guys that plan on just light off roading should be good? Someone contact wild horses on that issue? Looks like the weld wasn't strong enough?

OP
OP
garberz

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I guess us guys that plan on just light off roading should be good? Someone contact wild horses on that issue? Looks like the weld wasn't strong enough?

That depends on your definition of light off roading, I guess. I haven't made any calls, not planning on returning them. I'm just going to replace them. The standard shackles from JBG look to be up for the job.

No weld is going to hold this together, with the leafs pulling on just one half, and the other half is lodged against the frame. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. My buddy has done a bunch of really tough trails over the last couple of years, and now he's added the weight of 37" Krawlers on 17" beadlocks.

Mark

malonejy

Bronco Guru
Well shoot Mark, I'm going to check mine also. I just put them on before the Stampede. I guess I'll be carrying the originals as spares.

bswakeboarder

I pulled my super shackles off last year for the same reason. I noticed I wasn't getting as much travel with the super shackle, so I went back to the stock shackles.

krisbassett

Well that sucks! I just bought some for my project. Someone should send wild horses a link to this thread!

Digger556

The weld is okay, there is just a stress riser there. That is why the weld in split down the middle.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think Hoochdog busted a super shackle probably due to the same thing at last years ACB stampede