• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Surface rust on inside of door help

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Started stripping my doors today and everything is completely off, when you look inside through the door panel hole there is surface rust on the sheet metal, pretty much the whole inside of the door has it.

any suggestions on how to contain it or neutralize it? cant get in there with a sander.

any help is appreciated thanks

OP
OP
B

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Thanks guys! never thought you could just spray on por 15 right directly. i'm going to metal ready then por 15!

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
On rusty metal I have had better luck just applying the Por15 without metal ready. Everywhere I used metal ready the paint "fish eyed". In areas where I allpied POR15 directto the rusty areas they look great. I did several experiments under my EB to see what holds up best before I do the entire thing. So far it looks like I am only going to use POR15 in areas that have a fair amount of rust. The rest will get the satin black chassis paint.

YMMV

Greg

Desert Dweller

Loc.
Central WA
On rusty metal I have had better luck just applying the Por15 without metal ready. Everywhere I used metal ready the paint "fish eyed". In areas where I allpied POR15 directto the rusty areas they look great. I did several experiments under my EB to see what holds up best before I do the entire thing. So far it looks like I am only going to use POR15 in areas that have a fair amount of rust. The rest will get the satin black chassis paint.

YMMV

Greg

Yup- I don't use the prep stuff- just knock the scale off and shoot it. I use one of those H/F type solvent/cleaning guns (don't wanna clog up a good paint gun). Those guns will shoot POR 15 about 6 feet!!!! (I shot into my ElCamino quarters thru the tail lite housing opening and got it tothe door jamb) You can adjust the pattern. Just wear a good respirator when shooting- hard on lungs. :cool: