• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

suspension lift: unexpected results?

cwarren87

I recently put a 3.5" BC Broncos suspension lift on my uncut bronco and now it looks like the rear axle isn't centered in the fenders. It seems to sit forward of center. I don't remember what it looked like before because its been a year or so since the body was last on the frame. Is this normal? Is it bad? Or am i imagining this?

73bronco

Did you make sure to get the springs in the right direction? If it truly is forward that is probably the problem. The wrap goes to the front mount. HTH!!

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
Did you also go with Taller tires when you did the lift?? If so the tires can give you a optical illusion the axle is foward of where it was before. Howeve like 73 bronco said, make sure the springs are right.

OP
OP
cwarren87

cwarren87

The wraps face front and i haven't put taller tires on yet. I could be crazy but there is a definite difference in the space between the front of the tire and fender and the rear of the tire and fender. Any other ideas? Should i try scooting the body forward? The axle seems to sit pretty well straight under the bump stops.

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
Here's a few pictures of my sons Matts' old 69 uncut with 3 1/2" lift 34" super swampers.
Steve

Attachments

• matts69bronco 001.jpg
    matts69bronco 001.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 43
  • matts69bronco 010.jpg
    matts69bronco 010.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 62
  • matts69bronco 011.jpg
    matts69bronco 011.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 114

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
With more curvature to the new springs the axle will be slightly more forward. As it is compressed under load the spring needs to get longer (eye to eye) and it does at the rear because it's attached to the shackle. The front is fixed and can't move forward. When compressed it moves the axle/wheel back slightly.

OP
OP
cwarren87

cwarren87

Thanks for the input guys. Viperwolf, this makes the most sense since the bronco is really light in the back right now ( no top, no tailgate, no gas tank, no spare, no people). I'll just leave it alone and let time tell. AWS, thats a good looking luber!

75 Ranger

I recently put a 3.5" BC Broncos suspension lift on my uncut bronco and now it looks like the rear axle isn't centered in the fenders. It seems to sit forward of center. I don't remember what it looked like before because its been a year or so since the body was last on the frame. Is this normal? Is it bad? Or am i imagining this?

It's normal. The rear axle is not centered in the fenders, it is about 1.5" to 2" forward of center. For this reason, 33's can rub the front corner of the rear fender. That's why I went with 31" tires. If you move the axle back 1.5 to 2" you can go with 33's much easier. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Waller pic 1.jpg
    Waller pic 1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
cwarren87

cwarren87

I'm not crazy! Thanks so much. My dad told me i was imagining the whole thing. Now i need to decide whether or not to relocate the axle.