• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

swapping a tired 92 5.0 for a fresh 95 5.0 with nice gt heads.

ca pony

I have a couple of questions before I start the 95 5.0 swap.

Question #1. What is the best material for the distributor gear bronze, graphite, or stainless steel? I used a bronze gear the first time.

Question #2. What flexplate should I use, a 95 5.0 flexplate on a c4 or use my old c4 flexplate that I had rebalanced to the 95 flywheel weight? or simply what will work best?

Question #3. If I use my old 70's 302 Timing chain cover on the fresh 95 5.0 will everything from the late model 92 5.0 stuff bolt right up? I had to rig some hose parts to make the 5.0 waterpump match up to the radiator. I would like to use the old timming chain cover because of the mechanical fuel pump. I had a couple of the electric ones give out on me, thank goodness I had a spare to get me home.

any help on any one of my questions will be appreciated. Thanks

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My understanding is that the steel dizzy gear is best bronze tends to wear out faster havent heard anything about graphite or SS gears.
Flex plate use what you are currently using on the 92 engine.
Can really answer you on the timing cover issue but I think you will have to do some pulley shimming but the brackets should still bolt up. In over 30 years of running electric pumps I've never had a Carter P4070 fail on me. My first one was over 25 years old and still pumping when I swapped it out just because it was over 25 years old. Not saying they dont fail but I've had a very good track record with them and have run them on quite a few different vehicles.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
1) Steel gear with a roller cam motor, other gears may work, but why spend any extra $$ when the steel gear has 25+ years of use...

2) As long as it has the proper balance, the right tooth count, holes in the right place for the C4 torque converter bolt up and clears everything, you should be able to use either one. Test fit...

3) On the roller block there are cut outs for hollow alignment dowels for the matching roller cover bolt holes. The bolt passes through the dowel... The non roller covers (my 77 for example) does not have the cut outs in the bolt holes. When you put the 77 vintage cover on the roller block you need to pay attention when you tighten down the cover bolts so that the oil pan surfaces remain aligned.
I do not think that the 5.0 reverse rotation water pump will bolt up to early timing cover. The Alt/Smog pump/tensioner backet should bolt up and the P/S, non A/C bracket should bolt up. The A/C and P/S combination bracket probabaly will not as it bolts to the top 3 water pump bolts/studs.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Going from '92 to '95 you shouldn't need to change anything. Keep the flexplat already on the '92 engine, keep the distributor, etc.

Best life with a roller cam is the factory style steel gear. Bronze is known for being soft and wearing fast, but not hurting the cam. Never heard of stainless steel for a gear, that might be a typo somewhere. Probably mean a steel gear instead of a cast gear. The rest I have no information to back up any of there claims.

OP
OP
C

ca pony

Thanks for the info. I will stick with what I got now since I had no issues except for the electric fuel pump.

But I do have one question. Who carries the steel distributor gear?

I would like to go with a steel distributor gear this time around. Does Summit or jegs carry them?

Thanks again for the detailed information. You guys really know your broncos.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes Summit or jegs will have them. They also sell the carter pumps

fungus

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kaneohe Bay, Oahu
You should be able to get the steel dizzy gear at any of your local parts houses as well. As far as electric fuel pumps, I'm a fan of the Holley Red which you should be able to source locally. I couldn't find an off the shelf Carter...

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
NAPA carries the carter pump as well they rebox in as there own part number is still 4070 though.