• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swapping Dana 44 gears? Help

71HLFCAB

Loc.
Blairsville, Ga
I have a Dana 44 with 3.50 gears. I just bought a Dana 44 complete with disks and 4.88 gears. The 44 with 4.88's (recently installed) I bought has had the C-wedges, and the trac bar mounting bracket removed. To save time and trouble (hopefully) I want to put the complete carrier with 4.88's in my existing Dana 44 and add an Aussie locker. Can I do the carrier swap fairly easy or should I take it to a pro? Can i just check the backlash first then make the swap and re-check it when I am done? ?:? Or am I just wishful thinking, and need a pro? Please any help is always appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
You will have to set up the gears from scratch since you're changing everything. If you don't have the tools and have never set up gears before I'd say you should take it somewhere or find someone to help you. You will have to check the mesh pattern, backlash and pinion bearing preload.