• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swapping heads

kaw550

Bronco Guru
Are '69 302 heads a direct swap for '92 5.0 heads? Not sure about the pushrods as it has diffferent rockers. Would there be any real performance gain?

I am dropping the '92 heads off to have the valves gone through and wasnt sure if I should go with the other set.

The 302 heads are working in condition but I would bring them to get checked out.

matts460

I have 1968-1969 heads on my 302 they have smaller combustion chambers than 1970's heads but im not sure what 90's heads specs are. The 69 heads will need hard seats if havent already been done at some point, that mite help your desion.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
My numbers may be off a few points but, 90's head chambers are around 64cc's and the early heads your referencing are around 54-58cc's. Your going to bump up your compression about .5-.75 points. You also need to make sure you won't have any piston to valve clearance problems. Double check this before making any decisions.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'69 heads on a '92 engine.
Rockers are different, that will require different pushrods.
Is the '92 engine a roller cam? That would make for the need for different valve springs.
I doubt the '69 heads have hardened valave seats.

But the basics are the same. Head bolt pattern, intake, exhaust, valve covers will bolt up the same. Just a few issues with internal parts needing to be speced correctly.

As for performance changes. It will probably be a little different. With smaller chambers (need to confirm with actual casting numbers) you can pick up some torque but may loose some HP due to less flow.

OP
OP
kaw550

kaw550

Bronco Guru
I think I stick with the 92 heads and save the others in case I redo the 69 engine.

THe last price I got was about $200 + Parts.