• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swapping the back of a 2WD ZF housing to 4WD?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
I currently have a 2 wheel drive ZF tranny sitting on the floor in my garage that I got a great deal on. It looks like the back end of the housing could be unbolted, removed and swapped for a 4 wheel drive back end (if I could even locate one). Any of you transmission guys out there know if this is doable? Is the main shaft the same or would that have to be swapped too?

Thanks!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Sure it can be done, but I do believe that the out put shafts are different lengths and possibly different spline counts. It would basically take a "rebuild" to do what you want to do. But you may be able to find those parts for a reasonable cost...who knows. Good luck.

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
You would need to replace the rear of the tranny and the output shaft, as stated above.

broncodude_73

I have the output shaft that you need sitting in the shop it is brand new. I would really like to sell it. I also have the 4x4 tail housing brand new. PM me if you are interested.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I was going to say it wouldnt really be worth it since you would basically have to get a 4x4 tranny to do it. At that point you wouldnt need the 2wd tranny. but it looks like the parts have appeared.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Do a search on google for rebuild manuals; you may be able to do it yourself. Check the pricing, a shop may be able to do it for you fairly inexpensive. You really need to know what to look for when you are assessing the viability of transmission parts. I spent a couple of hours at a shop and the tech was showing me 'good' and 'bad' parts; some were prettt obvious and some were not. A standard isnt as voodoo as an auto, but I would want to make sure it was all good going back together. Have you called around to different manual transmission shops yet...ask about pricing to buy one...ask if you could use the 2WD as a core. Ask the difference between bringing in the 2wd tranny with the needed shaft and tailhousing...cost of kit, labor, etc. Check around and ask about warranties on rebuilds as well. Remember, if they arent willing to give you a little time to find out your needs, then they are not worth your time. Good luck.

OP
OP
Banjer Picker

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
Fantastic feedback guys! Thank you. This could be a fun little project if, like Trailpsycho said, it doesn't end up costing more than if I were to use the 2wd tranny for a core.

Still open to any feedback from anyone who hos done this before as well!

billie

Loc.
Calgary
You can download the full service manual for free from the manufacturer. I have a copy if you want but I'll have to find it. Send me a PM.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
There is a real specific way to take tha case apart on the ZF, it's not hard to do, but you will save a bunch of headache if get the info first.
If you dont have the big-ass rubberbands that they suggest, you can just use welding wire to wrap the cluster together when you pull the top half off.

Remember, the large part of the case (the end with the bellhousing) is the end that gets removed.
Have the tranny standing on the ouput end (in a fixture).