• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swiss Army Rack

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I need to buy an axe and shovel for back country camping. Going to mount them upright on my "swiss army" tire rack. Anyone have any suggestions of a good quality axe and/or short shovel that will last a long time. Was looking at the plastic shaft gerber axe. figured it will last longer.

SHOW ME YOUR SETUP

I have my spare, high lift, 2 jerry cans, cooler rack and antenna mount on it now. Anyone have pics of a mount for axe/shovel. Want to weld it on and make lockable.

Attachments

• Cooler Rack.jpg
    Cooler Rack.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 105
  • rack 1.jpg
    rack 1.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 132

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I think you should get a custom grill guard and mount them on the front. They way your going your going to lift the front wheels and wont be able to steer.
Just Kidding I think its great to see a rig set-up for travel. I use to carry all of my stuff like that but these days I use a military trailer and load it. Its nice to actually see where I am going and much easier to deal with out in the field. As I have gotten older you just seem to slow down and want more comfort and the trailer works well for me. Not to big, not too small just right and I think its easier on the truck.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Trailer would be sweet just dont have the space or the funds (yet).

That Fiskars X15 looks like a good camp axe and a good price too!

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I dont have an updated pic but I have two jerry cans there now. I plan on putting them in some kind of bracket on the other side of the spare. The will just stick out the top a little and I will only have them on there for camping trips so want the brackets hidden from view.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I picked up a sweet "firemans hatchet" at Harbor Freight last year...and amazingly it was made in Germany. Great axe, but I managed to break the handle while throwing it into trees over Thanksgiving...its not designed for that. I am trying to source a new handle. The head cut great and it came reasonably sharp...a file and a couple of minutes with the grinder and it was super-sweet. Great price too, about $20. Its about the size of a "camp ax" and it cut very well. If I cant replace the handle, I will get another...even if it is from HF.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-lb-firemans-hatchet-94549.html

That Fiskars axe looks sweet. Which home store, hardware chain carries Fiskars stuff? I looked at several places for axes, mauls and such and have not found anything that nice....lots of Made in China...which I would like to avoid...hence why I jumped on the hatchet from HF. That Fiskars stuff looks like decent quality...would like to check it out in person.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
Sounds like something I would do!

That one does look sweet but the Fiskars axe looks like its unbreakable and is not too expensive.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
GrillMaster,
Dido on the Harbour Freight axe, mine was about $9.99 plus tax, I had a 45% off coupon. I've used it alot to chop wood instead of breaking out the chain saw in the rain and it's been GREAT! Plus, it really does say, Made in Germany.

Trailpsycho, just take it back to Harbour Freight, they're great about replacing broken stuff. I break and replace something from HF about once every 6 months.

OP
OP
GrillMaster

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I need a chainsaw! Hmmmm where can I attach that?

Attachments

• ash.jpg
    ash.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 27

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
For a compact shovel, get a genuine Army Entrenching (E) Tool (not the Gerber copy). It folds up about the size of a portable DVD player, and has MANY uses: axe (though not very good), shovel, hoe, toilet/stool, hammer, anchor, stove...

For an axe, get an Estwing. I have the 26", but there are at least 4 smaller ones. You'll never destroy it.

Neither requires any rack space - they're very compact.