• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

T case and Tranny fluid fill lines?

PTG in MN

Loc.
South Metro
Hi Guys,
I'm a new owner of a 68 half cab. The transmission is a 3 speed (shifting on the column).

I noticed the upper left side of the transmission housing has a crack on it that was patched with JB weld by the PO the patch is stating to peel off (as expected) It leaks out slow, but I want to make sure the transmission always has fluid till I get this fixed totally. Until I replace it some day.

Can anyone let me know where the filler hole is on the transmission? And also where is the fill line (if not the filler hole itself)

I'm ordering a shop manual so eventually I wont have to ask this stuff.

As for the crack in the housing what's the best patch material for now to use again? JB weld?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm plowing snow again tonight and want to make certain everything is lubed properly.

Thank you,

Paul

bluebronco69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Damascas, OR
best bet is to have the crack welded or replace the case,
they are cast iron i think so stainless welding wire i believe as well as thorough pre and post heating is required.

there is a fill hole on the side of the trans and tcase part way up both are on the passenger side i think. they are 3/8ths square drive (your ratchet and extensions will work.)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is a pipe plus on the side of the case. Fill to the bottom of the hole.
JB weld is a good plastic patch. Hard to find but I have had good luck with http://www.permatex.com/documents/PX-0334.SpraynSeal.SS.pdf as well. Prep is the key. Must be super clean for any of it to work. The patch will only work if it sticks to clean metal.

As for fixing it, don't bother. The old 3-speed transmissions usually go for free to $50 in working shape.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Paul a fast way of checking your transfer case contents
The line is a fill line of sorts, it is really close to what the fill is
TOFIC

Attachments

• cover6.jpg
    cover6.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 22
  • cover7.jpg