• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tail gate to 1/4 panel gap

lanny-24

Loc.
Woodhaven
I am looking at a Bronco that looks to be good shape, but the gap at the top of the 1/4 panel to tailgate is noticable greater than the bottom on both sides (1/2 inch). The floor doesn't have any rust, but the seams on the quarters have been repaired on the outside. The inside looks good, no new paint.

I couldn't spot any rust issues in the tub area. Just concerned about the gap. Is this normal. I have not noticed this problem on the ones that I have looked at with a lot of rust issues. But I may not have gotten that far before.

Just wondered how concerned I should be, or is this normal ?

I have learned a lot by reading the posts on the website, and I am getting close to becoming a EB owner. Just looking for the right rig. Have put close to 2000 miles on my F150 so far.

Want to run it in the woods, plow a little snow, but have a nice solid truck. I want to restore it in the future, if I don' t have to much fun with it.

Last edited:

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had the same issue on my 77. Got it even with a come-along between the two post had to do it a few times to get it right. This always had the top on so I am not sure why it is like . was hit in the back somewhere. Look for some hidden evidence of and accident

OP
OP
L

lanny-24

Loc.
Woodhaven
Thanks, This is a 76 and the steering is a little loose, noticed some comments about the dreaded y link steering. Is this an issue on the 76 and 77 models. This one does have the stabilizer bar. Thoughts

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have had a 76 and know redoing a 77, I never had any issue with the y link as long as it is in good shape. I think the issue is if you run a front locker it can try to pull the front tires in and try to twist the link I ran a limited slip and never a problem. Check the track bar bushings to. That's always a big factor

JLBachs

This brace on the inside below the tail light
http://broncograveyard.com/images/catalog/66REARSHEETMETALBRACE.JPG

plays a large part in holding the tail light housing parallel to the tailgate. I would first check to make sure these braces are present and not rusted out - if they are there, the welds holding them to the inside of the tail light housing can be chiseled or drilled out, then you can adjust your gap and weld the braces back in place to keep it there.