• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate BANG!!!!

Jeepeater

Even with new suspension. when riding over 30mph and hit a decent size bump, I hear a lound BANG!!, in the rear.

Last edited:

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
take it off and hit the bump again to be sure

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Is this tailgate noise or liftgate noise?? If the Bronco has a full top with the solid liftgate the chance is good it is the liftgate that is banging. The cure is gas shocks on the liftgate as this holds the liftgate tight againest its stops and does not allow movement.
TOFIC

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have rubber tape wrapped around the stub that the liftgate closes on. Its like the sugar packet under the wobbly restaruant table.

OP
OP
J

Jeepeater

I run a soft top, so its not the liftgate. I do have some play on my tailgate with it closed. If I pick it up from the bottom(when closed) I have maybe a 1/4" play. Any ideas? Or do I live with it?

Kenny

Try replacing your four tailgate bumpers (see picture). I was surprised how much a new set of bumpers helped tighten things up. Once that was fixed, I found all kinds of new noises that I couldn't hear earlier. I think they're only about $4 at WH.

Attachments

• Tailgate_Bumpers.jpg
    Tailgate_Bumpers.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 30

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Have you checked your back two body mount bushings/bolts? I had similar problem with my first Bronco and the bushings we almost gone (banging came from body bouncing off the frame's mounting tabs.

ransil

Bronco Guru
How about the rods inside the tail gate.
I put a piece of fuel line them.

OP
OP
J

Jeepeater

Hope its not my body mounts, or I will have to explain to my wife while I will going up 2 more inches for a 2"bodylift. hahahah. I will try all these suggestions.

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Are you sure it isn't your hard top? My brother's occasionally makes a loud bang. I think his is mostly from pressure and not bumps though.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
broncomanbrad said:
Are you sure it isn't your hard top? My brother's occasionally makes a loud bang. I think his is mostly from pressure and not bumps though.
lol he said he runs a soft top ;) my dang hard top sounds like i am in a can with lots of loud bangs, just got to get my soft top after the cage of course

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
Skiddy said:
lol he said he runs a soft top ;) my dang hard top sounds like i am in a can with lots of loud bangs, just got to get my soft top after the cage of course

He did say that. I must have missed that post.

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
You might try a little Arkansas technology on that thing, invented by my son and solving a similar problem I once had :cool:

By the way, that's motorcycle inner tube he cut up with his mom's good scissors ;D

Attachments

• Posting Size Tailgate Pad.jpg
    Posting Size Tailgate Pad.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Poating Size Tailgate Pad 2.jpg
    Poating Size Tailgate Pad 2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 41

Willie

Loc.
Austin Texas
I have the exact same noise at the exact same spot in the road where a low spot is when I leave my house. The first couple times I would stop and see what fell off. Nothing. After awhile I stopped looking for body
parts left behind. What I have noticed is, I get the "Bump" after I have
lowered my tailgate and then raised it back, then hit the low spot. The only thing I could figure is, when I open and close my tailgate, it doesn't
align right but closes just fine. It takes the bump in the road to fully
align it with the 30 years old body. As a test, I open and closed the tailgate, then hit it with a rubber mallet, sure enough, "Bump". I guess old Bronco body's settle like a house does.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

Jeepeater

Donsbolts, whenever you want. Tough for me during the week, because of work. I have alot going on with the remodeling of the new house, but I can make the time. I might be taking the Bronco off the road this winter to do the engine. So hopefully we can get together before Christmas.. ;D