• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tailgate hinge

Big Slim

The quiet tailgate hinge is slightly longer than original. Is this by design? Having trouble installing it.
59c29e3c8a0e53c69eafa4e1cb80a27a.jpg

Last edited:

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I don't think the one on the right is original either. The OE hinge is stamped steel. That doesn't help you tho. Here's what mine has/had originally;https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Tailgate_Hinge_ea/Bronco_Tailgate_Parts. I can't say any of my original tailgate hinges ever rattled. So the poly ones may have been a fix for something that wasn't broken. That same one in your photo, also doesn't look like it spent it's life in Tucson. Too much rust and pitting. My '68, that did spend it's life here, had no rust. I would just buy the OE type. Here, it will outlast any of us.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I put those anti-rattle hinges on mine and don't recall any trouble.

Bronco4x4

I had a set go bad so far. The urethane pad just got soft and distorted to the point the tailgate shifted away from the body. They had a gummy feel. These were advertised as “The Silencer” years ago. I swapped out the urethane pads rom a recent set received from Tom’s Bronco Parts. So far so good. Since I had a finished paint job, I took off one side and lifted that side up to remove the tailgate. You basically have to slide the gate up along the jamb until it can be removed. I did this at my friends shop and it took three of us to keep the gate from hitting anywhere. I also used a telescopic hood prop to hold up the gate while I removed the side support straps and loosening the hinge prior to removal. Put masking tape wherever you can to avoid chipping the paint.

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I sliced my tailgate hinge and sliced the
two sides of the bolt-on pivot, now I can get the tailgate off like a current pick-up, no paint damage...

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
My 1974 had hard board spacers between the hinge pivot and the tailgate cup on both sides of the tailgate.

OP
OP
Big Slim

Big Slim

that is how i removed the tailgate, by sliding it up the channel, but since the new ones are a bit bigger it is getting stuck. i imagine to keep it from rattling it has to be tighter. i dont remember if i had this problem on my last one. ill have to try again.

these i believe are indeed stock hinges, my last '69 had the same ones.

grinnergetter

Just did this to my 70, my old one's are stamped and not as pictured above. I had no issues with the install. Did it myself.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
The ones pictured on the right are the early version, before Ford cheaped out and went stamped.

That extra width should not matter. I just installed a set without issue.

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I sliced my tailgate hinge and sliced the
two sides of the bolt-on pivot, now I can get the tailgate off like a current pick-up, no paint damage...

Can you explain this differently? I am having trouble picturing it. Did you use the stock hinge, or the quiet hinge?

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
This;https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1966-1977-Ford-Bronco-Lower-Tailgate-Hinge/productinfo/14554/is the original hinge. So are the ones I referenced in post #2. Mine are just like it and have been in the Bronco since '68. They never made any noise after 50+ yrs. as a daily driver. This is Tucson they're not going to rust and they never needed a fix of any kind. Beware of fixes that fix nothing.

^^^ Yep, my '74 had these on it. I went to the silencer ones as pictured, they are tight, but it fits. The slide method is how everyone gets them out. I use the thickest tape that the paint store will sell me for protecting the edges of the openings. Not great but helps. ANother set of hands is the best way to keep from chipping.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
grind it down till you like how tight it fits. i have a glass tub and had to grind the pegs down to get everything to fit. Allowed me to center the tailgate as well by doing most my grinding on the one side. Yes i did have to do one side then with a helper slide the other hinge in the cup and slide the entire tailgate down into place. nice snug fit. But i remember having to grind a 1/4" off the end of the peg thats under the urethane cup.